Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to illking
Fridge door lock

What are you guys using to secure your fridge door from opening while loaded?

The PO has Velcro straps that proved to be not strong enough for us last weekend. A glass jug of water fell out and shattered glass all over. Thankful the beer survived!

illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Garage
For my application, I just MAKE SURE that the pin at the top of my small Norcold is fully engaged. It is possible to push the Refer closed, hear a click and realize later that the fridge is not really latched. Usually this realization comes when something dense comes flying out, with everything else just behind it.

We just close the door, then give it a really firm push near the upper right corner and nearly every time find that the pin that secures the door was not fully seated.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

I have a Norcold, and the latch has never been strong enough to hold the door shut properly. I added another spring around the original one, and that would hold it closed on the highway, but not when offroad.

I had a holster for a flashlight made out of that 1.25" strap material. I cut it apart, sewed a square of velcro (hook side) to one end, and glued a fuzzy velcro to the front of the fridge door. I positioned the strap so it would hold the trigger for the Norcold door in the up position. I used a screw and a 1" washer to fasten the strap to the side of the cabinet. Haven't had the door come open since.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Interesting. We have a TruckFridge and never had it pop open while driving.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Never had my Norcold open on it's own, but as our son became mobile (crawling, then walking) we placed a baby-proof strap on the fridge. Should work well for keeping it closed for other reasons, and easy to find at Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes...

Herb
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Interesting. We have a TruckFridge and never had it pop open while driving.
Likewise. Another vote for the Truckfridge when replacement time comes. My last van had a small dorm fridge in it and I put a pin through the cabinet right above it that dropped down when the door closed.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix View Post
I had a holster for a flashlight made out of that 1.25" strap material. I cut it apart, sewed a square of velcro (hook side) to one end, and glued a fuzzy velcro to the front of the fridge door. I positioned the strap so it would hold the trigger for the Norcold door in the up position. I used a screw and a 1" washer to fasten the strap to the side of the cabinet. Haven't had the door come open since.
I use a stiff piece of double sided Velcro strap to hold the fridge OPEN after use to make sure it dries out nicely.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to illking
maybe im not shutting it completely, I like the child lock strap I think ill use that as a back up.
illking is offline   Reply With Quote