Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

Fridge recommendations

smb TX build out scheduled for July. I’m looking for fridge recommendations based solely on noise (or lack of). I’m going electric only so which is quietest -standard front door or 12v Dometic/ARB style? Thx

Blaknwite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #2

Garage
https://www.marinaire.com/MarinAire-...C-p/pfc40d.htm

love this one , american made . I put in on a slide out .
rumrunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

I like this one. There are a lot of Chinese cheap fridges hitting the market on Amazon, etc. I wonder about the quality. From the clear pics on this one it does appear to be very well made.

@Rumrunner, It is NOT American made though! If you are big on this look at their 'About us'. Just like an iPhone and many other products we love it is designed in the US but manufactured in China. This is not a problem for me personally but thought it worth sharing.

Most of the better DC fridge makers proudly boast that they use Danfoss/Secop compressors. This one does not. Hopefully it has a quality compressor.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaknwite1 View Post
smb TX build out scheduled for July. I’m looking for fridge recommendations based solely on noise (or lack of). I’m going electric only so which is quietest -standard front door or 12v Dometic/ARB style? Thx
So are you saying you definitely want a front door fridge? If so your options are fewer but still plenty. They are all very quiet. The only front door I have seen that is noisy (IMO) would be the older Norcold in late model SMB's. For that reason I'm afraid to try a new Norcold, especially with all of the other good options.

Popular front door DC electric models include:
Isotherm
Norcold
Dometic
Truckfridge (IndelB/Vitrifrigo rebranded)
Engel

FYI, if you want to see 'better' DC fridges look at the marine catalogs instead of the RV sellers.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

Thanks 86Scotty. I’m looking for the quietest fridge. Don’t care if it’s front door DC or 12v.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Garage
Hard to say which is the quietest without a head-to-head comparison. I’ve had various 3-way front-opening Norcolds and Dometics in trailers and now have a Dometic CFX 65W fridge/freeze, electric only. The new Dometic CFX is so quiet I can’t hear it. The others would make the occasional buzzing sound but it never bothered us. Having switched over to the Dometic mobile fridge, I couldn’t be more pleased with its energy sipping, capacity, and ability to go anywhere in the van. We even brought it into the house at Thanksgiving to brine the turkey.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Turkeybrine FTMW!!!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Garage
I see that now, my bad . had it shipped from florida . Its been super solid unit so far , don't hear it run at all. . It was the size dimensions that was perfect for my build , and price was right !
rumrunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaknwite1 View Post
Thanks 86Scotty. I’m looking for the quietest fridge. Don’t care if it’s front door DC or 12v.
All modern DC fridges have the same internals and will be about the same noise level IMO. The Norcold I speak of is 15 years ago.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Our new truckfridge is pretty quiet, more so than the old norcold we had.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote