Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Front door interior panels

Okay, I have a problem that should be very minor but that just has me stopped in my tracks. I'm trying to replace the speakers in my 2006 E-350 Sportsmobile, but I cannot for the life of me get the front door panels off. It seems like it should be very simple, just four screws and pull the clips free from the door. I've watched a couple of youtube videos that show the removal that appear very simple - remove the hardware and lift the panel up and our. I can shift the panel up about one-half inch, but can't seem to get it any further. I can look down inside and see one of the upper clips is free, but I can't see the others.

I'm wondering if it may have to do with the adhesive from the sound deadening material (I believe it is dynamat) somehow sticking to the panel and preventing its removal, but that seems far fetched. Or maybe Sportsmobile added an additional screw somewhere that is not obvious.

I'm not usually completely incompetent at automotive things, but I'm getting nowhere and also getting frustrated. Anybody have any suggestions?

pbwebb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #2

Here is a very good write-up thanks to JWA:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-removal.html
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwebb3 View Post
I'm not usually completely incompetent at automotive things, but I'm getting nowhere and also getting frustrated. Anybody have any suggestions?
We've all struggled with things like this---nothing wrong in seeking help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Here is a very good write-up thanks to JWA:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-removal.html

Thanks for posting that---it had somewhat slipped my mind I'd created that so many years ago.

Feel free to PM me here if you need additional help or direction PBWebb.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #4

Are you lifting up on the door panel and not out? It kinda slides up. If you are pulling straight out it won’t work. The other door panels (side, rear) have straight-push pins and are different (use a panel tool to minimize breakage).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Are you lifting up on the door panel and not out? It kinda slides up. If you are pulling straight out it won’t work. The other door panels (side, rear) have straight-push pins and are different (use a panel tool to minimize breakage).
Its been forever since I first posted that how to---if its not clear the panel needs to be pulled upward to release the attachment clips please let me know---I'm happy to edit it accordingly.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
if its not clear the panel needs to be pulled upward to release the attachment clips please let me know---I'm happy to edit it accordingly.

Great writeup!...One forgets some of the details...Your yellow circled picture shows the lift up clips, so it is clear to me without additional words...
Same is true for upper trim piece...

Again, nicely done...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice and the direction to the write-up by JWA. It turns out that the instructions that came with my speakers indicated the removal of four screws. Unfortunately there are five, as I learned the referred web site. Oh well.

On an somewhat related note, I learned when I removed the driver's side panel that there was no road kill noise insulation installed. Since I got my van in 2006, I guess it's probably too late to go back to SMB and ask for a partial refund. Does anybody know if I can install the insulation over the moisture barrier membrane or must I remove it?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #8

Just to clarify, the road kill was installed on the passenger's door. It doesn't appear to have the membrane.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwebb3 View Post
I learned when I removed the driver's side panel that there was no road kill noise insulation installed. Since I got my van in 2006, I guess it's probably too late to go back to SMB and ask for a partial refund. Does anybody know if I can install the insulation over the moisture barrier membrane or must I remove it?

If you mean by road kill the lead foiled sound dampening that can get wet and dry...there will be water on the outside side of the plastic.....It drains thru the weep holes in the bottom of the sheet metal. Foiled sound dampening can go most anywhere and leaving up the original membrane can help support it.

Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #10

Assume by “membrane” you mean the OEM barrier attached just under the door panel? When I installed noise dampener inside my door panels I just carefully peeled back the barrier, installed the dampener, then put the barrier back.

Because you’ll be installing the dampener against the door skin through smaller holes in the inner door panel, it will go easier if you cut the dampener in smaller strips to make it easier to install.

Attached is a pic of mine after I installed 6x8 component speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6545.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	38400
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote