Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #1

Gaucho couch not workable

I recently purchased a 2015 Sprinter Sportsmobile from a private seller (original owner). He tells me he never figured out to operate the gaucho couch to extend it to fill the isle. I can't figure it out either. I feel there must be some components missing, but have no idea how it's supposed to work -- there are no legs. The back of the sofa is not held in place with anything, and has several wing nuts for which I do not see any kind of tube or attachment.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this setup, and how I might fix it?

Photos attached. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7978 Medium.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	45671

Name:	IMG_7979 Medium.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	45672

Name:	IMG_7983 Medium.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	45673

Name:	IMG_7982 Medium.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	45674

Name:	IMG_7981 Medium.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	45675

dvo_michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #2

Odd. I have a similar set up, but my gaucho has legs on the front that you drop down when in use. Is this a new build? Maybe they forgot the legs?
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #3

Garage
Can’t help much since you have a Sprinter (and I don’t know if they made changes over the years), but I find it odd (and concerning) it doesn’t look like the base is secured in any manner - looks like in any accident it is free to fly off???
Mine has a section in the back end that sits in a track - and mounted on the underside (one on each front corner) are two fold-down legs which support the platform when pulled out. The backrest then slides into the gap left once you’ve pull the platform out.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #4

Garage
Interesting. My gaucho back has mechanisms on each end that allow the back to move forward and rotate into place. Also has the fold down legs.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:00 AM   #5

I would tend to agree that you are missing some hardware, such as can be found here FOLDING SOFA/SLEEPER DIY HARDWARE KIT

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #6

Garage
You are definitely missing the mechanisms that Greg has shown a pic of above. I can see the telltale sign that someone has cut through the pivot bolts and has left them behind in the angled pieces that are attached to the frame. I had the exact same issue with my van when I purchased it. Someone had removed those folding mechanisms, seemingly because they interfered too much with the driver's side seatback. I was able to buy those brackets from RB Components and get my gaucho operational. In my situation, someone had actually removed the whole seatback/narrower portion of the gaucho and I had to build a completely new one. Since you already have yours, it will be a much easier project. Don't forget to buy new legs (they fold for storage) for supporting the section of the bed that is in the aisle, as the scissor brackets themselves are not strong enough to support the weight that they'll be subjected to.

Here's a link to the folding mech:

https://rbcomponents.com/collections...nt=42643141712

And here's the folding legs:

https://rbcomponents.com/collections...15044861493314

Let me know if you have any questions.
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #7

Thanks for all your help!
dvo_michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:54 PM   #8

Gaucho couch not workable

My gaucho has sliders, not the scissor mechanism shown. They are basically long heavy duty drawer slides. And yes fold down front support feet too.

If the the person you bought it from really was the original owner, I find it a bit fishy that they “never knew how” to use the gaucho. They could have easily asked SMB.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #9

Agree with BrianW....Both Fresno and Austin delivered gauchos (in my E series vehicles) with drawer slides on the bottom ends that allow the seat to tip up. They also had plywood on the bottoms to mount the front leg to...The rear/center leg allows holding the seat up and mounts to the cabinet front inside. Backrest is attached by 6.5" fabric web with eyelets to the window sill, keeping the back from tipping "inward". Suggest you contact Sportsmobile for the base slider design (the design details are buried).....It is surprising that Sportsmobile would deliver a vehicle/RV with such large pieces not tied down due to the liability....Does yours have a plywood base on the bottom and back? The ply allows support as a bed. Your framework under the base looks similar to the standard design....
Believe the folding mechanism above is used on the non gaucho 50 layout.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #10

Our SMB gaucho also is supported by the "heavy duty drawer slides". The overhang and length were such that a support leg was not needed. I do recall that way back when we bought it, one side would not always slide/extend out from the chair to the bed position. SMB Austin tweaked something related to the slides and we've had 12+ years of reliable performance. It clearly is strange that the original owner never got "whatever" sorted out.
maurshir is offline   Reply With Quote