Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

Now that you have someone that is willing to work on it, it might be worth getting the starcool system to work. Admittingly I never knew how just the Ford Cab system would work in the van, because it doesn't work without it hooked up. It works very well almost to well when driving, when plugged in it is not as great, but the couple of times I had to use it, I was grateful it was there.

I know one of the parts is a y connector with check valves. That could be discarded and only the original line hooked back up. There is another part that was replaced by the starcool upgrade . This is the one with the solenoid valve connects to I believe. I don't believe I ever got to the third connection. I pondered doing the same thing when having similar problems. I was finally able to source the part where the leak was everything was fine from their. I understand your frustration with Starcool, I believe mine was installed on a Friday right before bear thirty, unfortunately it appears on Monday they forgot where they left off.

-greg

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Not to hijack this thread but is there any sort of schematic for this Starcool's unique refrigeration circuit? I know I could Google search something but I'd rather see something everyone here thinks is highly recommended.

TIA
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #13

The starcool III service manual can be found here. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post197452

The term starcool gets used here often, there are of course are multiple variations. Many times it is just the standard Ford extended rear AC. There are also off the shelve extended units that sometimes were installed by Sportmobile on a van that did not have it. There is the Starcool, the most common was starcool III, which I think came out in 1996, probabbly went away 2008 or later. I assume there was a Starcool II, in fact I thought I had a manual of it at one time. The Starcool III while functioning as an extended unit while driving also had the ability to run while plugged in to a 115 volt service. It has it's own compressor , auxiliary condenser and evaporator. When the van is running the auxiliary condenser is out of the loop, the 115 volt compressor is in bypass mode and the unit works pretty much as an extended rear air.

I think around 2008 Sportsmobile started putting in the "Danhard", it was a self contained 110 volt AC system that could be run off of the inverter while driving or shore power while parked. It didn't have any connections to the ford AC. The previous models were also made for Sportsmobile by Danhard, not sure why Sportsmobile didn't just call it Starcool IV.

The Starcool III was not complicated for an Air Conditioning Technician. but it was always difficult to get anybody to look at it, as they considered it outside of the vehicle air. The last leaky part I found, I tried to get from Danhard but they didn't even carry it anymore. Luckily they were able to give me the correct name and I found it online. There is also a control relay panel that turn all the various things on in the correct sequence , and correct mode if the van is running.

-greg
Old 01-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #14

Garage
My 2008 has a Danhard. Still part 110 AC and 12V.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #15

Yes, you are correct all the blowers and subsequent stuff is 12 volts. I should have just put it as they don't share any of the resources from the stock air-conditioner. The difference is that the Danhard 110 compressor can run through a 2000 watt inverter, and it is not tied into the factory AC.

I apologize for the confusion.

-greg
Old 02-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #16

I am in the same boat! Mine has never worked, and I manage without it. But would really love to have the whole box taken out! Sadly, previous owner removed the entire propane system....and I’d really like to have one back!!! If you know anyone in southern Colorado ( south-central) I’d really like to
get one installed, or reinstalled in my rig!!! The space is there,
but no ideas what was left to work with? I need a heater and small stove put back in.
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Now that you have someone that is willing to work on it, it might be worth getting the starcool system to work. Admittingly I never knew how just the Ford Cab system would work in the van, because it doesn't work without it hooked up...
Well here's the thing - I'm remodeling the entire interior right now, so we wanted to make a decision on whether to keep the Starcool, get it working, and deal with maintenance along the way, or just get rid of it now and free up the interior space (that blower is sizable) as well as space underneath. Funny thing is, we have a sink in the current layout and the drain goes to nowhere (no gray tank). It seems like the Starcool might have been added after the original SMB buildout because the compressor is sitting right where the gray water tank would be (and where the sink drain hose is directed and capped). Considering we will spend little or no time on shore power in RV parks, we opted to pull the whole Starcool and make better off-grid use of the space. Will let you know how the front A/C works after the Starcool system is out (and after it warms up enough to actually test the A/C!).
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #18

If removed carefully, there are probably several people who would be interested in taking the system off your hands for either spare parts or a retrofit.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danhard, service, starcool, utah