Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #41

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Heat for a Sprinter

I replaced an NT-12SE. I also have had Suburban heaters for years and agree they are pretty much trouble free. Replacing it with a D2 I got rid of the different fuel requirement. Picked up space (an inch here, an inch there, and pretty soon you're talking about a foot!) which in a B is critical and dropped a little weight.

The D2 draws 8.3 amps at start, 2.8 at boost, 1.8 on high, 1.0 on medium, .7 on low and .4 on standby (which it is much of the time) so I gained some on battery usage also.

And I got to work, tinker, adapt and play with my SMB.

All and all, it was a great trade!

Regards,

Keith

Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #42

I guess the NT-12SE isn't available anymore since I don't see that model on Suburban's website.
I'd like to see the stats at different speeds for the Suburban models like they show for the Espar's rather than the max setting. That would be useful. I guess the 12 implies 12,000 btu/hr.

In searching for info on the NT-12Se, I ran into a forum for Airstreams. One poster raved about catalytic heaters, specifically Platinum ones. I found this one company that has a nice write-up on the technology http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html
Anybody have any experience or thoughts on using one of these compared to an Espar or Suburban?

Ok, I need to ask my dumb question for the week.
For the Suburban heater, the diagram for the heater shows that there isn't any ducting. The grill in the front for output and outside wall plate on the back for air intake and exhaust. Doesn't that limit where you can mount this in the van and configure cabinetry around it? Maybe that's not an issue but seems like a handicap to me.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #43

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Yes, you are right about the Suburban. You are limited to where you can put it and you have to cut an opening in the side of the van. I wish I had thought of this before I had ours built. Now I have a hole in the side covered by a chrome Suburban intake/exhaust cover.

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Yes, you are right about the Suburban. You are limited to where you can put it and you have to cut an opening in the side of the van. I wish I had thought of this before I had ours built. Now I have a hole in the side covered by a chrome Suburban intake/exhaust cover.

Regards,

Keith
and the Espar has three openings (air intake and exhaust for combustion and fuel input) on the bottom of the van and can be mounted pretty much anywhere avoiding the obvious obstacles.

regarding that hole in the side, I'm sure you'll come up with something creative. you're the Wizard of mods.
I'd suggest a keg on the inside and beer tap on the outside like those trucks at fairs but you're a cocktail type of guy.
Attached Thumbnails
beer tap.jpg  
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
I'd suggest a keg on the inside and beer tap on the outside like those trucks at fairs but you're a cocktail type of guy.
That's a great idea! That would be perfect for the Bad Beer Contest and the Bay Area SMB Oakland A's outing!

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
I guess the NT-12SE isn't available anymore since I don't see that model on Suburban's website.
I'd like to see the stats at different speeds for the Suburban models like they show for the Espar's rather than the max setting. That would be useful. I guess the 12 implies 12,000 btu/hr.

In searching for info on the NT-12Se, I ran into a forum for Airstreams. One poster raved about catalytic heaters, specifically Platinum ones. I found this one company that has a nice write-up on the technology http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html
Anybody have any experience or thoughts on using one of these compared to an Espar or Suburban?
Unless things have changed, the furnace is either on or off. There are no intermediate settings.

Catalytic heaters are unvented, so there are two byproducts of running the things. The first is carbon monoxide if there is not enough air exchange. This alone would make it a no-go for me. The second of the by-products is water vapor, which cause problems in vans in the winter as it is.

Greg
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #47

Am reviving this thread because I was looking for some information. Saw that no one commented on the location of the Suburban model number and BTU marking location. Found mine by taking off the front grille. There was a small horizontal metal surface, half way up on the righthand side, that the nameplate label was attached to. Very dirty and easy to miss. Was easy to read once I cleaned off a thick layer of dust.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote