Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Help, AC or no AC, getting ready to place order!!!!

After spending the day at the factory I am ready to place on order. Question is if the dash ac is enough for warm weather say 85-90 or do you need the additional AC.

Furthermore does anyone have experience with just the 12v unit, does it work well et. I understand all the tech stuff regarding running the engine to maintain the 12v etc., but I can’t decide if the extra weight and money would be better spent elsewhere. I will be going to baja, where it is hot but it always cools down at night. What's the solution, if you had to do over again would you have the additional AC in your SMB.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Team

I have the rear 12V a/c unit, that's integrated into the front dash controls. Integrated might be an exageration. There's a separate fan speed control, but the temp is set by the front dash controls.

If you going to have any number of windows in the van (besides the factory door windows) I'd definitely get some sort of additional cooling. With the rear unit turned off, the dash a/c unit cannot keep up with the solar load against the van windows. I will say I have about as many windows as possible in my van, so my solar load is huge, but I also live in a moderate climate. Possibly, if you're only going to need a/c while driving, the dash unit may be sufficient, but if you want the van cool while parked and idling, you need additional cooling capacity. That said, I will caveat this by saying this is if you have rear passengers you want to keep comfortable. If it's just you and a front passenger, again you can probably get away with dash a/c.

Hope this helped somewhat, rather than just confusing you more.

Good luck and have fun with the order and build!

Herb
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #3

I bought used with just the dash A/C. It's pretty good and starcool isn't really for me as I'm almost never plugged in, but starcool would probably be nice to have. If I built the van again? I don't know I'd probably try the starcool or something.

I know, nothing like definitive help!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #4

hey thanks for the info, it is helpful. I have decided to go with the extra cooling. I want the unit now but I will have to wait until it's built. I don’t understand why the build them without it and then install a $2k winch that could be installed at a later date. I just don’t want to wait four months and then I am thinking that I should wait until the o8’s are out. I am concerned about the ultra low fuels and going to mex and there doesn't seem to be an answer from ford.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbabell
I don’t understand why the build them without it and then install a $2k winch that could be installed at a later date.
Huh? I didn't understand this...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #6

What I meant to say is that I don’t understand why SMB builds a unit for sale, one that has not been ordered, and they don’t install the additional air conditioner. It seems to me that since you can’t add the additional air conditioner later it would be installed at the time of build, and maybe not install a winch, that can be installed at a later date. I wanted one of the units that are already built, but it doesn’t have the additional air and they can’t add it without some crazy cost. For the cost of the 12v unit is seems to be a no brainier to install it at the time of build.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #7

Right, I ran into the same thing used- only they told me it wasn't worth pulling people from the line to put one in post build.

The joy of having one today however I think would outweigh the A/C, considering you're sitting on the fence about it anyway. If that is the only thing holding you back from buying ready made, I'd buy ready made and not sweat it. Bad-dum-dum.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #8

Garage
Probably because most people may not want it, and it costs big $$, too. A winch you can install or remove anytime. Not so with Starcool. I live in So CA and am glad I did not get the Starcool. don't seem to need it.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Hey Jeff

do you used the dash air and does it seem to work good enough to cool the whole van? I understand the engine has to be running but NBD
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #10

My van cools enough with just the dash AC. And we've been in some very hot weather.

The Starcool seems to be more for cooling when you are stopped and have shore power.

Pop the top and open all the windows and the van seems acceptable inside when camped.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote