Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

OUCH ! Hopefully some "Lone Ranger" from the wonderful members on this forum will charge to the rescue !? Good luck --

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #12

Ouch. I've seen some bar sag over time with my old SMB and some others but that's pretty bad. Not sure if a jig could be rigged up for that much of a bend.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:32 AM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
When I bent them on our maiden voyage (could still get it closed), had to make the trip Indiana, Sporty's mfg, closets to IA, $514 ($14 for breakfast for KTG and I at the downtown Huntington cafe) later, new bars, back to happy...as said, Field Van or Sportsmobile (across the street ?) could replace them, and give you some tips how to get it down now? Good luck!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Posting pic's on behalf of vanhopeful:
This is a link to the interior shot of crossbars:
Not to be a pessimist but I doubt this can be repaired. We bent our bars multiple times by catching a hook on the way up (slow learners?). We used Jage’s Hi-Lift solution described in the first link in Twoxentrix’s post. We were never able to get them completely straight and they’d always creep back to their bent state. We gave finally up and had FieldVan replace them in Fresno. We now require both of us to be present when opening the top, one watching the rear and the other watching the front. Here are a couple of photosshowing how we were equal opportunity benders.

I

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #15

Not sure… I think I‘d give it a try using a bigger pipe with the same/ similar inner diameter as the pop top tube has. Clamp it around from left and right in small sections to avoid „folding“ of the pipe while bending.

Any way you can move a rod in from one side to make sure the straight parts stay straight?
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Not to be a pessimist but I doubt this can be repaired. We bent our bars multiple times by catching a hook on the way up (slow learners?). We used Jage’s Hi-Lift solution described in the first link in Twoxentrix’s post. We were never able to get them completely straight and they’d always creep back to their bent state. We gave finally up and had FieldVan replace them in Fresno. We now require both of us to be present when opening the top, one watching the rest and the other watching the front. Here are a couple of photosshowing how we were equal opportunity benders.
Lot good ideas in this thread to help guard against the hooks catching - for people like me which are experiencing more and more senior moments…there’s a benefit!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ver-29036.html
Old 08-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Lot good ideas in this thread to help guard against the hooks catching - for people like me which are experiencing more and more senior moments…there’s a benefit!
Great link. I particularly like the latching loop to the ceiling and love the "Remove Before Flight" warning. We also turn our hooks, which seems the simplest solution. We also stopped using the seatbelt SMB added after the Mexico lawsuit. I think we caught the hook on the seatbelt more than the latch. Now it's rolled up and bound with a rubber band to keep it safe. We promise not to sue for our stupidity.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #18
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Hey Two!! We have a fool-proof system: "touched hook one, touched hook two, touched hook three" If we don't hear an OK from each other, we repeat till there is VERIFICATION from each other...excitement at the campsite to get it all ready for camping moments makes impatience and mistakes more likely...it seems juvenile to have such a procedure, but haven't even been close to a mistake since!

I'm afraid the only way to get them down may be taking out the bolts on the scissor, and with people power allow it to come down...it is a simple idea that would require muscles and thought to do it but that's all i can think of...oh and then drive it to Fresno to get them replaced...don't feel as bad as you (probably do) can't help, it happens to quite a few (it seems).
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #19

you guys are the best
vanhopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Hey Two!! We have a fool-proof system: "touched hook one, touched hook two, touched hook three" If we don't hear an OK from each other, we repeat till there is VERIFICATION from each other...excitement at the campsite to get it all ready for camping moments makes impatience and mistakes more likely...it seems juvenile to have such a procedure, but haven't even been close to a mistake since!
Some of us are in great need of juvenile solutions. Especially when tired or excited or both after a long day’s drive.

Quote:
...don't feel as bad as you (probably do) can't help, it happens to quite a few (it seems).
It’s an elite group, though.

Tags
bars bent, pop top, repair needed