Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2022, 05:21 PM   #1

High Altitude Furnace Function

Expanding upon this thread: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ade-30811.html
Being somewhat fed up with my SMB 96 suburban furnace that only intermittently works at high altitude. I live at 5600ft and tend recreate between 4500-10,500ft in search of snow. I tend to stay overnight at the high end of the spectrum in winter when I most need the furnace to function.
Should I assume that upgrading the Suburban Furnace BTUs from NT12SE to NT16SEQ or NT20SEQ will cause the same problem? Suburban Furnace customer service told me they only test models to 4500ft and that above they might cut out (like I am experiencing) at only 7500-8000ft. I need it to work even higher.

So.... I have been looking for budget minded alternatives. I have wondered if tapping off the engine battery or house batteries for a electric 12v heater would add any temp value? But they seem to require what seems to be high watt demands (300-600w) for a 12v battery. So I am looking for ideas. (and no I am not yet ready to rewire or reconfigure the entire van's 1996 electrical system). Hoping for a solution from the SMB experts.

Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
So.... I have been looking for budget minded alternatives.
I have the same Suburban furnace that works most of the time, but it's noisy, blasts me with cold air when it starts, has to restart each time the thermostat shuts it off and then calls for heat again etc.

For the last three years, I have been using a Chinese diesel heater. These are copys of German Espar heaters and work amazingly well. My van is gas, but the heater comes with a complete instillation kit that includes a fuel tank, fuel pump, wiring harness, the controller, all the ducting you need, and pretty much everything else you need to install it. It's about the size of a loaf of bread. One thing I love about it is that when it starts, the fan speed is on the lowest setting. Once it begins to heat up, the fan speed increases until it gets to full speed once it's fully warm. Once it gets within a degree or two of the set point, it slows down to the lowest speed and continues running slowly and blowing out warm air which is nearly silent and draws less than an amp of power. On low, it hardly uses any diesel. I simply fill the tank when I get gas, but normally go several fill ups of gas between filling the diesel tank. I could go on and on about it, but just let me say that it's the best $130.00 I ever spent. That's right, the entire thing was that cheap. Prices have gone up a bit but they can be had for around $150.00 now. There is definitely a learning curve, but there are several Facebook and YouTube channels with more information than you will ever need. Do a bunch of research prior to buying one, but if you do, you will love it. My Suburban heater is just taking up space now.....................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:37 PM   #3

Thanks.. Great info. I have seen these and wondered. Do they work with a thermostat?
Where do you store the diesel furnace or where is it mounted? Or is it portable? Could it replace and be placed into the Suburban Furnace compartment? Exhaust? Where do you keep the Diesel tank and about how many gal does it hold? Inside or out?
Old 10-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

...and do you know what the KW rating yours is and the Liter amount of tank? Just trying to understand what is sufficient for a e350 Van. Looks like something like this I am assuming. https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Dies..._dp&th=1&psc=1
Old 10-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #5

This will be good reading for you:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ers-29605.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post279334
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
Thanks.. Great info. I have seen these and wondered. Do they work with a thermostat?
Where do you store the diesel furnace or where is it mounted? Or is it portable? Could it replace and be placed into the Suburban Furnace compartment? Exhaust? Where do you keep the Diesel tank and about how many gal does it hold? Inside or out?
The tank I got holds 10 ltrs

I mounted it to the back of the Aluminess galley box so it swings out for filling. I wouldn't mount it inside due to the possibility of a small spill, after which my wife would no longer sleep in the van, (ever)

Each instillation location can be different. It requires a hole through which the exhaust and combustion air pipes pass through. I extended the exhaust using a piece of 3/4 EMT electrical conduit so it doesn't exhaust under the van.

There is a self contained portable model but it still requires the exhaust to be outside.

You need to do a bunch of research. Considerations include getting a thermostat that allows fuel adjustment for altitude. If you don't reduce the fuel rate when at higher altitude, it can run rich and carbon up.

They often come with a fuel nipple that is designed to be installed at the bottom of the tank, with a good possibility of a leak. I bought a fuel pipe that has a long tube that reaches near the bottom of the tank, and is installed at the top, with no possibility of a leak.

5kw is big enough that in outside temps warmer than about 35degs, after a while I have to crack a window even when it's running on low. That's with my top down. The 3kw units are often times really 5kw with a 3kw label

The link you provided to Happybuy is the seller I got mine from, but from the photo it comes with the flexible green fuel hose that has been known to be problematic, and I'm not familiar with that thermostat. You need to make sure you can adjust the fuel rate and I don't know if that one does that. Again, you need to do a ton of reading and research.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:04 AM   #7

Propane. PROPEX

I opted for a Propex Hs2000 furnace. I placed it under the third row seat along the wall. I then ran a copper tubing line to an exisiting hole behind the rear wheel well and ran the copper tube to the back bumper and added a propane quick commect there. This way i can put a propane tank from my BBQ inro the Aluminess Box and run a hose to the quick connect when i need it and I dont have to install a tank or tap the tank etc. Ive used this setup at Mammoth mountain which is about 8800 feet as well as in the mountains in Utah and in Colorado at Steamboat and Copper as well as around Craig on the way to Steamboat in the hills with no issue. It does have a thermostat and pulls very little power as its propane and only the fan is pulling electric
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #8

Propane. PROPEX

I opted for a Propex Hs2000 furnace. I placed it under the third row seat along the wall. I then ran a copper tubing line to an exisiting hole behind the rear wheel well and ran the copper tube to the back bumper and added a propane quick connect there. This way i can put a propane tank from my BBQ inro the Aluminess Box and run a hose to the quick connect when i need it and I dont have to install a tank or tap the tank etc. Ive used this setup at Mammoth mountain which is about 8800 feet as well as in the mountains in Utah and in Colorado at Steamboat and Copper as well as around Craig on the way to Steamboat in the hills with no issue. It does have a thermostat and pulls very little power as its propane and only the fan is pulling electric
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote