Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

high and low pressure propane setup?

Does anyone run a high and low pressure setup? Our Sportsmobile is low pressure tank under van, but we also want to power our partner stove with a high pressure regulator. My half dozen google searches have been useless.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Adam

bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I installed one of these inline between tank and regulator to run a BBQ grill with its own regulator, but I believe it would work for your application as well, just get yourself the right accessory hose. I was able to sneak my tank, I think forward just a bit to be able to gain a bit of space.

Camco 59113 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port https://a.co/d/8PgGVmK
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

Dang, thanks, REF. Did you just use all the propane and then add it in line?
Old 11-24-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
high and low pressure propane setup?

It screws onto the tank, in between regulator and tank, this goes inline, no need to empty the tank, just shut the valve. You might want to burn off what’s left in the line after the regulator before you unscrew it to install this. Shut off the tank valve, burn off excess at your stove and/or heater till it peters out.
If you’ve got a suburban heater, it might take a few extra minutes to light until gas fills and pressurizes the line. You do need to buy yourself a few inches to fit this in, like I said, I was able to sneak my tank forward? and I moved the copper line a bit to fit it in, careful not to put a kink in it. Not that difficult, just takes a bit of time and care. Or you could always have an RV dealer or shop install. There’s a few different versions, make sure to order or get which one has the right fittings. Example….

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/6...Cal_c/file.png
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Garage
This Thread has some info you may find useful - look at the picture in post #13 in the first link to see if your set-up is similar (Some Sportsmobiles already have a high pressure "T" before the regulator).
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...r-28700-2.html
Old 11-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #6

Thanks, REF and Twoxentrix. Bought the part recommended and will install today!
Old 11-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #7

I've been thinking of doing this for a while now, since I picked up a dual-fuel generator that also takes propane. Any particular reason to go with the four-port Camco tee instead of this three-port version? https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59093-P.../dp/B000NHQKZO

Edit: I guess the four-port version adds the option to use a disposable propane cylinder in case your main tank runs dry. Although it looks to be 1.5 inches longer, which may be an issue depending on the space available inline.

Three-port dimensions 2.19 x 4.81 x 6.5 inches

Four-port dimensions 2.9 x 4.7 x 8 inches
Attached Thumbnails
61tcZwAMTLL._AC_SL1350_.jpg   81DWFhXtLzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #8

I went with the 4 port ( should be here in a few hours). Will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #9

Garage
If you a running a separate line for your High Pressure, I would recommend installing a cut-off valve as close to the end of the new port (not sure you'll be able to get one to attach to the port because of space constraints). Comes in useful if you want to keep pressure/appliances running through your low pressure line (like a suburban furnace, water heater, stove, etc). If you don't have any of these appliances then its just as convenient to close the main valve on the tank and let your BBQ or generator burn off excess propane in the line.
***If you have the Hutch Mountain duel fuel adapter for your generator, you will still have to use their regulator prior to the propane line attaching to your generator (I suspect this would be the case for any duel fuel system).
Old 11-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #10

One last question here. I want to run a line to the passenger side of the van (permanent). Is this accepted as ok, or should I have the only access to high pressure be at the regulator?