Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

But, then, they don't have Utah, either. Totally different worlds.
Very true Otter, I certainly can't disagree. BUT, actually they do have Utah. Every time I'm in the West I run into more Europeans touring than I do Americans. They're easy to spot. They're in a Eurovan Westy, a Juicy minivan rental or a Cruise America/El Monte class C. I guess the Americans are all at home watching Fox news and afraid to leave the house, hence the storage lots surrounding every American city full of rotting RVs.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
That reporter garbled the heater information. VW California has an optional Eberspacher parking heater similar to those used by Sportsmobile. It does require electricity to operate the fans and controls but the heat source is diesel from the VW T6 main fuel tank.
Thanks, the two house batteries are spec'd as 72Ah each. Even if they were Lithium and could be 90%(?) drained they would not supply much heat.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT
https://www.campervan-hq.com/blogs/n...bench-seat-bed
Wow, that's desirable. I'd consider re-doing some of my interior choices if I could get my hands on one of these.

It might be worth sending them an e-mail...

"... will cost you thousands in import fees, customs and shipping, if the company would even sell to individuals."

I wouldn't take a budding importers word on that. My experience with shipping car parts from .eu is mostly second hand from a co-worker that has a collection of heavily modified german cars. Yes, occasionally you get hit with a duty, but they aren't prohibitive if the item is truly special. Largely it's about being patient and not springing for air freight on bigger items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
But, then, they don't have Utah, either. Totally different worlds.
They do however have access to Africa. I really want to go back there someday.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #14
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Wow, that's desirable. I'd consider re-doing some of my interior choices if I could get my hands on one of these.

It might be worth sending them an e-mail...

"... will cost you thousands in import fees, customs and shipping, if the company would even sell to individuals."

I wouldn't take a budding importers word on that. My experience with shipping car parts from .eu is mostly second hand from a co-worker that has a collection of heavily modified german cars. Yes, occasionally you get hit with a duty, but they aren't prohibitive if the item is truly special. Largely it's about being patient and not springing for air freight on bigger items.
Thanks. I am still in the planning stages but for what this offers compared to what we got I would be willing to spend quite a bit more.

Here is an awesome install of. Not sure if the stock one would just bolt in or not, but having this amount of adjust ability would amazing!

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Still, most Americans seem to want a 5th wheel with 6 slides and a big screen TV over something that will take them someplace pretty or that is designed with multi-function in a small footprint. It's insane to me.
I think that has more to do with it than European (or Japanese, for that matter) public land inadequacies. Why go small when you can have it all?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Very true Otter, I certainly can't disagree. BUT, actually they do have Utah. Every time I'm in the West I run into more Europeans touring than I do Americans. They're easy to spot. They're in a Eurovan Westy, a Juicy minivan rental or a Cruise America/El Monte class C. I guess the Americans are all at home watching Fox news and afraid to leave the house, hence the storage lots surrounding every American city full of rotting RVs.

Hilarious!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #17

Wicked seats indeed, been researching for some time as well. Anyone have any idea what regulations there are in putting an aftermarket seat that is not approved for the North American market? Does aftermarket have the same restrictions as manufactured new? Yes they are certified in the UK but that doesn’t help over here, just some questions I can’t find answers to.
Is it like lift kits, 4x4 conversions, aftermarket wheels and bumpers, many are not DOT/transport Canada approved, but they are everywhere. Where is the line in doing modifications to a vehicle? For personal or commercial re-sale? Anyone know.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #18

I am curious as well but I do not know. Mostly I try not to think about it (regulations). I go with what I feel is safe.

After all, damned if you do damned if you don't in today's over litigated society.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
I am curious as well but I do not know. Mostly I try not to think about it (regulations). I go with what I feel is safe.

After all, damned if you do damned if you don't in today's over litigated society.
I def agree, I'm the same way.
The rules are not clear on any of it.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #20

Sadly the answer is to ask your insurance company as they will be left holding the bag if it goes bad.

Of course good luck finding someone there that will approve a modification.

They don’t like non stock.