Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
IPT

How does Europe have such bench/bed conversions and not the US?

How does Europe have such good bench/bed conversions and not the US? Stuff like the the RIB Altair bench seat/bed. Seems to me there is a rather large market for it. People are looking for modular flexibility with safety too.

I read somewhere a company Hymer might be importing them soon. I am amazed Sportsmobile or some of the other conversion companies or RV companies have not stepped up to the ball to that kind of quality.

Having a seat like that, especially on rails seems like the ultimate in flexibility and function.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

How does Europe have such bench/bed conversions and not the US?

In general, the Euro conversions are MUCH nicer than their US counterparts. Nicer build quality, lighter weight, etc. Not sure why the US RV interiors are still largely stuck looking like a 1960s family room or kitchen. Hymer, one of the largest RV builders in Europe, recently purchased Roadtrek. I'm curious to see what kind of Class B vans will be coming out of that.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #3

I've always wondered the same. Look at cars, for instance. Take anything in the 80's or 90's that's European and it was sporty, cutting edge and futuristic. In America anything in the 90's is cushy and designed with grandma getting to church in mind. No, you say?
What did we get, the Pontiac Fiero?
Still, most Americans seem to want a 5th wheel with 6 slides and a big screen TV over something that will take them someplace pretty or that is designed with multi-function in a small footprint. It's insane to me.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

I am not a VW van guy but I would think the new Camper Bus would sell great in the US.

The Long, Strange Trip Continues with New VW Camper Bus –Â*News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandVan View Post
I am not a VW van guy but I would think the new Camper Bus would sell great in the US.

The Long, Strange Trip Continues with New VW Camper Bus –Â*News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Yep, even the old ones are still selling great!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

I think this VW concept would sell like crazy in the US. Add a poptop and the TDI to this and watch them fly off the lot. I would place my deposit tomorrow.

Volkswagen Atacama 4WD van concept
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Read some of the test drive articles. VW California (2017) review: camping at the Arctic Circle by CAR Magazine This Norwegian Arctic Circle test trip says it has an ELECTRIC heater that runs off a house battery and that it kept the rigs warn all night. Anyone know the wattage of the heater and the size and type of battery??
Van does have double pane windows and must seal well.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
This Norwegian Arctic Circle test trip says it has an ELECTRIC heater that runs off a house battery and that it kept the rigs warn all night. Anyone know the wattage of the heater and the size and type of battery??
That reporter garbled the heater information. VW California has an optional Eberspacher parking heater similar to those used by Sportsmobile. It does require electricity to operate the fans and controls but the heat source is diesel from the VW T6 main fuel tank.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:55 AM   #9

Garage
Just like everything else in Europe, demand and scarcity drives what is available. Their relative inaccessibility to our cheap petrol drives all of their innovations. They've had ingenious efficient camping vans for years and now their market has moved to even smaller minivans.

Until we can't afford to drive our gas-guzzling Fords anymore (what will it take? 5.99/6.99/10.99 a gallon?), we won't see these well-designed, efficient camper vans on our car lots

But, then, they don't have Utah, either. Totally different worlds.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #10
IPT

Does anyone know if this guy actually was able to import these?

https://www.campervan-hq.com/blogs/n...bench-seat-bed
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote