Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #11

Have a friend that used a noise generating light flashing type device and he said it seems to "work". He also uses mouse traps and they stopped...

I use the smelliest dryer sheet packages I can find prior to camping....seems to work over the years after a couple of interior mouse camping experiences....

Good luck!

moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #12

I had a mouse build a nest on top of the starter battery in my van. No damage to the van but it brought up a lot of palm nuts so I had to vacuum those out of the engine bay.

Just last week a mouse built a nest in my Jeep that is sitting out due to my motorcycle taking its place in the garage. This nest was also on top of the battery and the mouse used firewall insulation to build the nest. So a bit of damage was done.

I just put one of those bucket traps out but I haven’t trapped any mice yet. I have heard Irish Spring soap deters rodents along with strobe lights. I do plan on putting Fluid Film on the undercarriage of both vehicles so that should help.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #13

A picture of the ultrasound n light devices that Doug D posted with an Amazon link - - and a mouse traps. We've been in the deserts going on 3 months now, have 4 of each devices, mouse traps are working for sure, not so sure about the ultrasound n light device. Best, Em. https://photos.app.goo.gl/194m2ANCBwxDSFEm8
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #14

Whatever you do, do NOT put out (rat) poison for them, else the rodent can ingest it and then get stuck between panels in your vehicle and it'll stink for quite awhile(happened to a client of ours). I use the inexpensive wood Victor brand snap traps, with some peanut butter on the trap. They still seem to work the best for me.

I haven't tried many deterrents however.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix View Post
I got two of these by the same company: https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Repellent-Ultrasonic-Deterrent-Protection/. Instead of batteries, it runs on the vehicle battery. You should start the vehicle periodically to keep the battery up, though.

I had a pack rat problem in the engine bay. They used the firewall insulation to build a nest, and were bringing pieces of cholla under the intake manifold. I killed two rats with traps, and also used peppermint oil for a few days. The problem with peppermint oil is that it evaporated in a day or so.

So far, they seem to be staying away now. We have a large population of kangaroo rats and field mice around here as well, and they haven't been a problem so far.
I'll second this recommendation. We live among the redwood trees and had constant problems with pack rats and k rats nesting in our vehicles and eating various wires (and firewall material). After a packrat built a nest on top of the wife's car engine and chewed the main wiring harness enough was enough. See pick of nest!

Spoke with the maintenance folks at the local university who made the recommendation for the ultrasonic device. Installed 2 of the Loraffe ultrasonic / flashers in every vehicle we have in 2019 and have had zero issues since. I also used 1/4" hardware cloth to block all the air intakes as rodents were nesting in there too.

Word of caution, they will drain the batteries (even though they are supposed to cut off at low voltage). So all my vehciles that are not daily drivers stay plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Q7 Rat chew.jpg  
ss4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:34 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4010 View Post
I'll second this recommendation. We live among the redwood trees and had constant problems with pack rats and k rats nesting in our vehicles and eating various wires (and firewall material). After a packrat built a nest on top of the wife's car engine and chewed the main wiring harness enough was enough. See pick of nest!

Spoke with the maintenance folks at the local university who made the recommendation for the ultrasonic device. Installed 2 of the Loraffe ultrasonic / flashers in every vehicle we have in 2019 and have had zero issues since. I also used 1/4" hardware cloth to block all the air intakes as rodents were nesting in there too.

Word of caution, they will drain the batteries (even though they are supposed to cut off at low voltage). So all my vehciles that are not daily drivers stay plugged in.
Any update available on the Loraffe ultrasonic devices, are they still working?

Last Fall I had another mouse intrusion issue, I had the van out for a few days and left most of my camping items in for about a week between trips. When I went to re-pack, I found my virtually new Pendleton comforter had been severely attacked my the little p*cker heads. After getting back from a two week trip I re-applied fluid film to the undercarriage and left out a few snap traps. Within a couple days I'd trapped two mice and have had zero issues since. My guess is that the two mice were already in the van when I re-applied the Fluid Film?

If going with Fluid Film and/or WD-40, I'd recommend keeping it fresh and "wet" when using it as a rodent deterrent.

I've had less than stelar results with any other prevention method, but would be willing to give the Loraffe units a try...

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2024, 06:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix View Post
I got two of these by the same company: https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Repellent-Ultrasonic-Deterrent-Protection/. Instead of batteries, it runs on the vehicle battery. You should start the vehicle periodically to keep the battery up, though.
Same one I have and it seems to work, but you need to keep the battery up.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:55 PM   #18

Regarding wire harnesses and the proclivity of rodents to chew through them, this product seems to have a lot of proponents over on some of the Toyota/Land Cruiser forums that I also frequent. I have never used it or had an issue with rodents in any of my vehicles, but this tape always seems to be a fan favorite. There may be similar products on the market at a better price point, not sure.

Genuine Honda Electrical Rodent Tape (Mice, Rats, Squirrel) - OEM part #: 4019-2317
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26541035093...3fba71021dc825
Click image for larger version

Name:	321.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	49845

The idea is your wrap vulnerable wire harnesses with the tape. The tape contains capsaicin (the active component in chili peppers), which repels rodents and reduces the likelihood that they'll chew the harness. No idea what the product lifecycle is, but I would assume it maintains its potency for a few years at least.
yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:37 PM   #19

Hi Folks,

I'm throwing in with Twoxentrix on the first page of this thread and his post, and throwing in with other folks that say the noise (ultrasound or not) and flashy lights just don't work to deter mice, rats, and or field-mice-like critters.

I just buck up, every*night, and put out 4 rat traps "baited" with dryer lint rubbed in dirt and stored with dirt in a zip lock bag to try to attenuate any human smell on*the lint.

I stopped buying and trying various brands of flashy light ultrasound*critters gizmos after countless times finding this under the truck:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZytxwsRzBKmd2eMy6

I think all should be able to get to the above photo; if not, let me know; it's a dead mouse in a rat trap right next to a flashy ultrasound critter box.

The trap is empty of dyer lint because*one of his critter friends I didn't*catch took the*lint away after the trap was*sprung.

This my experience for strings of LED lights as well.

So...my experience...maybe I didn't hit on the right critter box...but after five different boxes(?) plus the LED lights and light strings, I just gave up and used the rat traps thinking it*will*attenuate our chances of getting wire harnesses chewed on.

So far so good.*

Logic on the bait.* I don't wanna attract critters with food, so I'm using something I think (?) that they have to get very close to identify as nesting material.

I think I'm in the Field Mouse Hunger Games!* *

We're out in our truck about 50% of the time for the past 3 years.* So lots of "experiments."

Best to all
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Any update available on the Loraffe ultrasonic devices, are they still working?

So far, yes, mine seem to keep things at bay. No problems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Same one I have and it seems to work, but you need to keep the battery up.

Wholeheartedly agree with this! I am not able to start the van every week, so I got a Renogy solar battery tender to keep the voltage up. It was only $24.

I hardwired it to the battery terminals. I just have to always remember to disconnect it before starting the engine. Some people have said theirs no longer works, probably because they didn't disconnect it before starting.