Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

Hit up Summit for 8 gallons of Lizard Skin CI and 8 gallons of Lizard Skin sound deadener. Visa loves me....

That'll just be a start since it still leaves room for anything else. I will probably add other stuff but I'm still a couple weeks out from that.

J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

Garage
Spicoli how did it go?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #13

It went...lol

I sprayed the inside and it makes a huge difference both in heat and sound. And since it's like a thick layer of paint there's the same amount of room to do any other type of insulation. I'll probably add something else for insulation but haven't decided. Low-E maybe?!?! IDK. Van is currently in San Diego getting the AO treatment so I'll start building out the interior when it comes home in a couple weeks.

In hind sight I should have prepped a bit more both masking off areas and cleaning and lightly sanding surfaces. There are places I got over spray and places that started peeling off when removing the masking tape. Not a huge deal as the over spray will all get covered and the peeling is only with some effort.

My main annoyance was with the Lizard Skin sprayer you can buy. You have to keep it clean or it clogs really easy, and that's a huge mess to deal with. The other is that you have to constantly refill that little bottle and you're bound to spill down the sides. It is one of those quarter turn lids that has three little nipples that twist into grooves on the lid and when that lid starts to clog up you don't a secure closure on the lid. Then you don't realize till it's too late. I was hopping back into the van when the spray can fell off and half the contents spilled and splashed all over my unprotected driveway. STAINED!!! So mad.

Other thing is to make sure your air compressor is big enough. I had to buy one and just happened to get a huge 20 gal. Glad I did. If you're gonna spray an area that big the 20 gal is a minimum, mine barely kept up. I had to stop and let it refill quite a bit.

Also, 8 gallons each of both the Sound Deadener (SD) and Ceramic Insulation (CI) is pretty much the perfect amount to do an RB sized interior.

Lastly, I drastically underestimate the amount of time it would take. I though prep on day one, then day two the first layer applied in the morning and second in the afternoon as it says to let it dry for an hour between coats. Thing is that's between coats of the same material. Both the Sound Deadener (SD) and the Ceramic Insulation (CI) each take two coats. BUT....at least 24-36hrs drying time between the two materials. I found it took about two hrs to apply a coat. Plus about an hour to sit between coats. So in the end, day 1 was prep, day 2 was first material, day 3 was dry time, day 4 was second material, day 5 was strip down and assess the damage and cleanup.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? IMO and with the limited driving I have done with it thus far, yes. It's the real deal. Would I do it again? I would definitely have no reservations about it except to seriously consider having the pro's do the spray install.
J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #14

Your chronicle of that is so valuable to us!

I came across this discussion of lizard skin alt when looking up your products
alternative to Lizard Skin - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

About the floor work, I'm planing to replace my carpet with a sheet flooring product. Carpet has felt mat under it. So you recommend spacing out the floor grooves... And so what layers did you build up?
Lizard skin.....Spacers.....Armaflex PSA...... Subfloor?
Thanks