Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Garage
Interior cabinet dimension size?

I've searched but can't find cabinet dimensions on this site. Is the SMB counter top height for sink & cook top 36" like a standard residential kitchen?

What about galley cabinet depth and length?

I'm planning a sink/stove/fridge pod that can be removed when needed. Weight is my mortal enemy so I'm thinking 1"x2"s Kreg jigged together with 1/4" baltic birch sides where possible else 1/2".

ARB 50qt top loading style fridge is what I'm planning around. I really like this Escape Pod from Eclipse. Some great features I plan to copy.

ESCAPE POD | Eclipse Custom Campers

I welcome any and all cabinet plans

Lyall

LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Garage
Derek at CCV showed me one that they are developing. If I remember right, it was about $3000 for a removable cabinet, including the fridge, sink, and stove.

I have been thinking about building one myself, so I'm gonna pay attention to this thread.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

It I remember correctly the SMB counter top is lower than your normal kitchen. It might be as low as 30”. Preparing a meal at it was hard on my back. The counter top in the remodeled Tardis is at 36”.

I believe the reason for the low counter tops in the SMBs is to keep the gas stove top away from the van trim at the edge of the roof. You do not want the heat from the stove to start the material on fire.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Bus View Post
Derek at CCV showed me one that they are developing. If I remember right, it was about $3000 for a removable cabinet, including the fridge, sink, and stove.

I have been thinking about building one myself, so I'm gonna pay attention to this thread.
I've got one of those removable cabinets. Let me know if you want to see details.

I think mine is 30", and while I could use the extra 6" it helps keep the space from feeling cramped. So many tradeoffs.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #5

Would be great to post some pics of the cabinet. Are there quick connects for the water and propane? I just removed the cabinet with the stove and sink to make some more room my van. Interested to this cabinet. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
I've got one of those removable cabinets. Let me know if you want to see details.

I think mine is 30", and while I could use the extra 6" it helps keep the space from feeling cramped. So many tradeoffs.
Yours is the one he was showing us! I saw your name on the windshield of your van.

I didn't feel right about taking pictures of a product in his shop and then stealing the details to build my own. However, if you wanted to post some pictures, I wouldn't object.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

First some pics

(sorry for the dumb rotation issues)
Attached Thumbnails
BDC23219-CDEF-4394-80EE-BF931AEA31C0.jpg   8E81DBB0-E373-4C0B-812C-690E00B775DE.jpg   C1EFEC34-66A8-4B1A-B253-2620CE216BD7.jpg   63D25C7E-E8E0-472F-A147-0022F91331BD.jpg   9941FA2F-4552-4150-9E68-B28607A0DEC0.jpg  

Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Another of the turnbuckle
Attached Thumbnails
9AFC299F-5185-404F-9007-4FA3E15AA1EB.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
First some pics

(sorry for the dumb rotation issues)
Whoa. When we were there, it wasn't finished. It didn't have doors on it yet, or a faucet, or a fridge. We saw only the base cabinet.

Maybe I should just buy it from Derek. That looks awesome.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #10

I don't have propane so I didn't need to worry about that. We generally cook outside and plan on just bringing the portable stove inside when needed. On my list of things to fix is to reduce the "lip" on the left side of the counter so that when the extension is up there isn't a "lip" between the two halves.

The water system is a very simple supply jug as shown. There is a strap on the right side for a secondary jug. It is trivial to swap them out as needed. The drain goes down through the floor.

There are quick connects for power (fridge and pump) but the unit needs to be slid out a few inches before one can reach them. I pulled it out a bit to get a photo but its really a two person job.

Ideally the drain connect would be flush so that the galley didn't need to be lifted up&over. I'm not worried as I don't expect to do this often. I could also jigsaw a slot so that could slide the galley in/out. Or I could add some grab handles to make the lifting a bit easier? Dunno, for now I expect it to remain in place 99% of the time.

(As noted in my build thread I kept the factory crew seat *and* can still access the stock mounts. So technically I can remove the galley and have LOTS of seating. I think of this more as a resale/transformer option than a normal use case).

The floor supertrac are bolted through the floor and are reasonably secure. I don't like how the pucks on the galley itself are attached -- they are just screwed in -- and have on my list to reenforce them with steel plates. I've a long list though so I'm not in a rush. There is no hint of movement; we stand on the galley to get to the penthouse and it feels 100% solid. I'm just thinking about potential accidents.

An adult (I'm 5'10") can sit in the bench seat at the galley and pop the extension up as a laptop or prep space. Its probably the last seat adults would use but if we have 5 in the vehicle there is at least a spot for them. The grey thing in the left of the photo is a dogbed and its normally his place to ride.