Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Interior cabinet usability?

For the first time I am looking seriously at building in some cabinets for a galley and storage. (RB 10-ish walkthrough layout) My E-series van has an SMB penthouse/bed but is otherwise untouched by SMB.

As a first approximation I stood behind the drivers seat and imagined what I would need to be able to comfortably prep, cook and clean from a standing position. I had really not thought about this before, but for me to reach a countertop with reasonable sight lines and ergonomics, the work space will have to stick out almost 3 feet from the side of the van. This is almost to the van's midline! Anything less than that and I'm looking down at the PH frame which projects roughly a foot past the edge of van's interior. It's that or contorting my neck in a way that doesn't bode well for this aging body. .

I went to SMB's site to look over the measurements of standard cabinets and noticed that they are at most 21.5 inches deep. So what am I missing here? Do people prep, cook and wash up sitting down or how do y'all overcome the projection of the PH frame to be able to comfortably see and reach the countertop? Is this why almost nobody seems to cook in their vans?

Enquiring mind etc.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I don't have an issue at all but I don't have a walk-thru. The top of the fridge on my 50 model is more than enough to use and I keep a cutting board over the glass stove top that doubles as a cutting board. The bed rails has metal heat guards over the bottom area above the burners but the plates don't get hot. I guess its just for extra protection. The pictures below give you an idea. The second pic shows the cabinet cover I installed over the storage cabinet hung against the wall below the rails. I also took out those F-lights and added LED's. I'd say the stove is cut into the counter top starting about 3 inches from the wall. The worst part for me is using the cutting board over the stove top when not in use. The sink/stove counter top is lower than the fridge and it kills my back bending over prepping food...I'm 6 foot.

And you're right, if you had counter tops like mine on both sides it might be close quarters trying to get around a person. If you want slimmer cabinets that restrict the surface area while maintaining a wider walkway I'd suggest incorporating some kind of pull out cutting board that secures inside a more narrow cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1496.jpg   DSCN0902PH_thumb.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote