Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Question Interior Cabinetry repair/facelift: Seeking Craftsman

Hello

I am seeking a craftsman or business with the means to properly address fixing interior cabinetry for a 2001 SMB RB50. It has warped/dry-rot pressboards. I live within King County of Washington state.

I have viewed these SMB postings, but I do not have the tools to perform this DIY:
For example, in the main cabinet's left wall where the hinges are mounted, the hinges screws have nothing to screw into because the pressboard is disintegrating and warped:

Recommendations who can do this and a couple of other smaller interior cabinetry fixes?

History, in 2010, this van's penthouse pop-top, a top rack was installed by the previous owner and it was not properly sealed. Thus causing a major leaking. I am expecting that this warp/dry-rot resulted from this episode:
Thank you, much appreciate this forum. I am preparing SMB for another road trip.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #2

Jeff,

Send me a PM. I’m willing to take a look at it for you. Might be able to help but I am not a business, just a van guy that like to help other van people. I’m located in Normandy Park.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #3

I am attempting to do a DIY, wish me luck, DIYs do go both ways. That is how Home Depot makes money. Watched the following:

Old 02-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks, if my DIY attempt makes my situation go from bad to worst (my spouse is saying now, "I told you to find someone who knows what they are doing"), I will definitely DM.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #5

Garage
I repaired some home cabinets in a similar fashion. They worked fine as long as we didn't lean on the door when it was open...
Old 02-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #6

Garage
Hey Jeff, hopefully you get in touch with Nrobert10 and he can help you out. If you decide to pursue a more complete remodel, I'd recommend contacting some local custom cabinet shops and see what they can do for you. Even if the shop doesn't want to tackle the project they could most likely suggest someone who could. The fix for the door you pictured should be relatively cheep and easy and maybe a local RV dealership would do that work. To do a remodel like I did (in the link you provided above) expect to spend a few thousand as custom work is always expensive.

Feel free to reach out if you would like and I'll try to give you whatever insights I can.

Cheers! -steve-
Old 03-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #7

Cabinet repairs

I have a van also, and I am a cabinet maker of 35 plus years. I am located in California, on the central coast, if you want to take a trip down here and hang out for a couple of days I could hook you up, I have a real shop and can fix what's broken. Let me know if that works and we can figure out a time that works for both of us.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #8

Thank you for your reply. Lompoc, CA would be quite a trek, especially these days with gas prices. Yet, I will definitely keep you in mind.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #9

Thank you for your reply. Your location "West Central Mountains, Idaho". Curious, where is this?
Old 03-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #10

Question

Progress...

Repaired board:

Ordered and received Southco latch:

Next, I am considering putting Metal U-Channel Moulding 5/8 x 5/8 to the edge of the repaired board to hold the cabinet door's hinges.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Tags
cabinetry, interior, repair