Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #11

Re: Leaving fridge on or turn off?

I added a converter to mine. When I am plugged in at home I plug it into a 110 outlet in my van and keep it on. I have a 12V only Isotherm. I think that not having it go through the house battery all the time will save on the house battery. I have to turn fridge off before I plug the fridge into the 110 outlet, then turn it back on once it is plugged in to the 110 outlet.

I keep it on all the time , ready to go. (should be white wine )

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #12

We follow pretty much the same regimen as Daveb , we try to get out for at least two short trips a month and we frequently have no idea where we may end up so we keep it stocked with Water and Ice in the freezer and usually on the number 2 or 3 setting plugged into a110 volt outlet . I also use alternating Zip Locks filled with Baking Soda or Sacrificial Dark Roast Coffee .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #13

Wilsons Truck fridge has been on two year since i got him from the builder, Jeff

Was turnd off for 3 days after The Accident when it was inside Action Vans shop

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #14

If you do leave it on, mass in the fridge will help keep the temperature stable and stop the motor cycling on and off constantly. Supposedly this uses less power and is easier on the motor. So jugs of water or judging by the comments on here, kegs of beer should do the trick.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I read in an RV tech article that over stocking the fridge can cause it to run warm as well. They suggest to use a small fan to circulate the air inside the fridge. I had one of those things but found the door is what needs to be insulated more. I've seen about an 8* swing in temp between the door tray and the middle of the fridge in the summer heat without the fan. It would be different if my van was under shade or cover. Stuff like mayo now goes in the back.

[Edit] I haven't tried using a fan and comparing temps during summer, maybe it would work. I have the 4cf fridge and the freezer seems to do a good job but to keep it below 32*, but at that level stuff in the lower portion drops too cold. Maybe the fan might help distribute the cold from the freezer to the lower section. I still think over cycling in summer will be an issue no matter what.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #16

I leave mine on 2 constantly. Always try to keep a case of beer and misc. drinks. Thats why everyone hangs around the van after MTB rides... Since I also use my van as a daily driver, I'm not really worried about running it down.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #17

I turned my fridge on when I bought the van in 2007 and have only turned it off 3-4 times just to defrost the icebox area. I keep it full of drinks, and condiments.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #18

I know a lot of people weighted in on this one, but I read something different then the consensus.
Mine is used about once or twice a month. When back from a trip I empty the fridge, wipe it out, let the freezer plate condensation dry off by leaving the door open for a day or two. But I read (in the manual?) that the door should then be shut to avoid deteroriation of the plastic/rubber door seal. So, I put in an open box of baking soda, and shut the door on a dry, empty switched off fridge.
NVHillHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I read in an RV tech article that over stocking the fridge can cause it to run warm as well. They suggest to use a small fan to circulate the air inside the fridge. I had one of those things but found the door is what needs to be insulated more. I've seen about an 8* swing in temp between the door tray and the middle of the fridge in the summer heat without the fan. It would be different if my van was under shade or cover. Stuff like mayo now goes in the back.

[Edit] I haven't tried using a fan and comparing temps during summer, maybe it would work. I have the 4cf fridge and the freezer seems to do a good job but to keep it below 32*, but at that level stuff in the lower portion drops too cold. Maybe the fan might help distribute the cold from the freezer to the lower section. I still think over cycling in summer will be an issue no matter what.

Dave
Dave (or anyone else),

I was wondering if you ever went with a small DC powered circulation fan in your fridge. I thought about getting one to help circulate the cold air and have the fridge cycle less.

Part of the trade off would be a small decrease in available fridge space.

Herb
Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

I quit using it but would like to set up a better quality fan in there one of these days. What I did notice is it helped to keep a little uniformity in temperature. I don't really know if it kept the cycling down or increased it but w/o the fan I find more stuff frozen in the back while the door storage temp gauge is just inside the safe zone. I don't know why a small computer fan wouldn't work. I don't think you need much air movement and too much could be worse.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote