Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #11

The only reason to turn the water pump off over night is if it wakes you up when it comes on. Or if you're in a situation where a dripping faucet could cause a mess or run you out of water.

I've not dealt with an espar setup, but since it burns diesel, I really wouldn't sweat it either. That stuff is cheaper than bottled water.

If you manage to figure out how not to get worked up over such things, which I know is the right way to approach them, let me know, I'm still working it out myself.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #12

Garage
QUESTIONS

a. Is there some small parasitic draw on the battery, and/or some wear and tear on the system/Is there any cost to running these systems while not being used?

b. What if we left the water pump on while going in motion, would the pressures of movement cause stress damage to the system?

ANALYSIS

1. Keeping the water heater powered on overnight consumes electricity. A very small amount of electricity, but electricity, nonetheless.

2. Keeping the water heater on overnight is unlikely to shorten the lifespan of the unit by any measurable amount.

3. Keeping the water pump on overnight will cause it to cycle on occasionally as the system loses pressure. This will consume a very small amount of electricity.

4. Keeping the water pump on overnight will also consume some of the unit's total lifespan. If this impact could be measured is debatable.

5. Keeping the water pump on while driving will have no negative impact.

6. Battery use due to having the water heater and water pump powered on overnight will consume some of the batteries' total lifespan. If this impact could be measured is debatable.

DISCUSSION

1. I am a compulsive switch turner-offer. Left to my own devices, everything would be off when not in use overnight. No question about it. This is not because doing so would produce a measurable impact. It won't. This is strictly an emotional choice.

CONCLUSIONS

1. The net cost in electricity, and the net cost in shortened device life due to leaving the water heater and water pump on overnight is so minimal that it is indiscernible.

2. Turning things off makes some people happy. This is totally discernible.

3. Leaving things on makes other people happy. This is also completely discernible.

4. In your case, I shall hypothesize that if you leave this set of devices powered on overnight, the net cost to you in loss of happiness will be far outweighed by the net gain to you in joy due to an ecstatically happy face-washer in the morning. You know, you might even get coffee in bed outta the deal. I say: leave the switches on, and enjoy the heck out of watching the happy face-washer dance every morning. That's what we call a high return on investment.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #13

I leave my water pump on all the time, and it does not cycle unless I am using water. I would be concerned if it did - that means either a water leak, or a leaky valve in the pump.

As for leaving the hot water on - this can use power, as the coolant circulator pump will run periodically as the flat-plate cools off. However, if you are running cabin heat, the odds are the pump will run more from the need to feed the heat than from the need to make hot water. However, by the same token, the flat plate will be hot due to the hot coolant running through it on the way to the air heat exchanger, so running hot water won't matter.

So long as the system is hot, the time from flipping on the water heat switch to having hot water is measured in seconds, so I would see it as a wash (pun intended).
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #14

Happy wife, happy life.

My water pump switch is always on, it only gets turned off when the main power switch gets turned off. When my wife wants water in the middle of the night (hot, cold or anywhere in between) she gets it in the easiest manner possible, which means going to the faucet just like at home. She likes it that way, thus I like it that way.

Hey, I work in a refinery, burn as much fuel as possible and keep me employed!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

Thanks all, especially for Glider's super point-by-point analysis that my engineering brain can really appreciate, even if it ends up with the conclusion that my wife -- oops, I mean the face-washer -- is totally right and I'm just irrationally compulsive about negligible things.

Fortunately, I have a lot of practice admitting defeat in this sort of debate!
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post

Fortunately, I have a lot of practice admitting defeat in this sort of debate!
Ya gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #17

This whole thread is entirely too much thinking! If the missus wants to leave the switch on, leave the switch on! Damn, life is too short for this tomfoolery!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #18

I love this thread. Clearly first world problems, and funny ones at that.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #19
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I have to say lololol!!!! I like the attempt of being anonymous but use of "she" in the first sentences...too funny! But yes, we have a small red light on the pump, but keep water heater off b/c it is electric (not like yours)..luckily we are both a little anal and try to switch anything off we aren't using...but the van (name?) is both your babies! Oh our significant others and the way we weave our lives together...did you start off a little anal and now full fledged? or like us, I was a messy marvin and she the anal OCD...now we have switched and she is the messy marvin and I am picking up after her...lololol 28 years tends to do that? Have fun and I like your admission towards the end of posts saying you could give it up...like me, a trainable husband eh? Oh the things we do for love, the things we do for love!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
espar, pump, water