Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Let's see your crapper!!

Just trying to see how many people have bathrooms/toilets in their SMB so I can get an idea of what's out there and how small they can get. I'm planning on getting one soon and I'm interested to see what people have done with theirs and what could and couldn't work on my set-up. So if you have some pics or tips/advice I'm all ears!!

Thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #2

Re: Let's see your crapper!!

3 minutes 40 seconds into slide show shows our vans restroom.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

I know this isn't an ideal shot, but if you look on the right cabinet at the bottom that is where we keep ours. The upper cabinet has a door on it now, but we left the lower one open and we keep our port-potty in there. That keeps it from sliding around, and there is a lip where my flooring stops that provides a 'drop in' for it, so to speak. I decided to leave the flooring out underneath for this purpose, so that the potty wouldn't be able to slide out on it's own, without being lifted slightly, and it can't move forward or back more than a few inches. It works great because it's out of the way, and we just slide it out into the aisle when we need it on the road. They aren't very heavy, even when full, but there is a good bit of water in the top (fresh) tank so you need to be careful when moving one around. I have found that the best place for ours while camped is actually between the front seats. That way we can leave it there the whole time and it isn't in the aisle in anyone's way but can be used without moving it. BTW, we always block out all the front windows with reflectix, so it's still a pretty private 'nook', and these things don't smell or anything, so if you keep it clean, it doesn't funk up your van. Also, boys just go outside unless it's absolutely necessary to stay in, and then you better aim or Mom and Dad are gonna be pissed!!!!!

Happy camping

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #4

Great thanks guys! I'm wondering if I should go with a fixed system or one that is portable/moveable like yours is 86Scotty. I take it yours is also portable LenS?

Anyone have any pics of some permanent fixed systems with plumbing to a gray water tank?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #5

I have the smallest porta potty made which says that it is good for 27 flushes. I do not put water in the top. It is always light and easy to move or empty. I keep it in a lower cupboard with a side opening door and pull it out to use it. I use a pop top water bottle to squirt water in the bowl to flush it.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #6

Just got a Thetford Curve yesterday! We're doing a month-long trip this summer and thought it would be useful. Definitely looks like a nice, well-made unit. We have an EB van with two full cabinets in the very back on each side. I'm going to modify one so that the toilet fits in there (have to remove a shelf to get the height). The toilet fits between the two rear cabinets for use, and will also fit between the front seats. I think we'll rig a privacy curtain that can be used in front or rear to create a temporary restroom. (It's my wife, 8 year old son and I, so my wife needs the privacy.)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
Great thanks guys! I'm wondering if I should go with a fixed system or one that is portable/moveable like yours is 86Scotty. I take it yours is also portable LenS?

Anyone have any pics of some permanent fixed systems with plumbing to a gray water tank?
Just remember, a fixed system is a lot more complex and you have to winterize it. With a port potty you can just yank it and put it in the garage in winter.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

Yes our Pack-a-potty is removable. The lower unit is held in place by two straps with plastic clips. The upper unit clips to the lower unit (as they all do). So to empty it, I remove the upper flush/bowl unit, unstrap the waste unit and dump it, reinstall all.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Here are our solutions...

70% of the time it's this....

...or gas station, campground, etc

About 25% of the time it's this...

And the other 5% of the time it's the emergency dumper..

This thing rides in cargo bay and gets used maybe 1 or 2 times a year. But when you need, you REALLY need it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

From the replies you can tell that not many SMB's have a permanently installed toilet. Generally, the vans are too small to dedicate that much space to something that is used only a few minutes a day. A Porta-Pottie is the most common solution, taking only a small storage cabinet for storage.

Larger RV's all have fixed toilet facilities and a black water tank. They can be installed in an SMB, but you have to give up something to make it fit.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote