Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Looking for info how to DIY a Penthouse bed platform?

I need to either buy or build a upper bed for the Penthouse on my new van. I seem to recall someone on the forum doing this, but searches haven't led me to the post yet. Any advice welcome.

My initial thought is a base of 1/2 plywood, two layers of foam, covered with upholstery fabric wrapped around and stapled underneath. Then trim the bottom with a thin piece of white board of some sort. I'm assuming that's how SMB does it, but I'm not sure.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

That is how they do it. Mine came apart and I had to put it back together. Mine was just foam and wood with upholstery stapled over it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #3

If you are handy I would say just tackle it yourself, then you'll be able to actually decide what kind of foam you use for the mattress/sleeping portion. If it were me I would get a nice Memory Foam Topper from Costco or something like that, and then you'll have a nice comfortable sleeping surface.
CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #4

Yeah that’s the way I’m leaning. DIY with foam from a topper. Probably cheaper than trying to source the foam another way. SMB actually isn’t too expensive at $613 for the bed, but I’d have to drive to Indiana from Pennsylvania to pick it up.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

@grampswrx, can you confirm that it’s just a 1/2” plywood base? Seems like that would not be sufficient to hold weight spanning the roof width wise, at least running the ply sheet lengthwise on the van, as would be needed. Would be better to run it width wise, but that would mean two bed sections and I’d rather keep it to one.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Easier than you might think

We used a 4 section platform. 3/4" plywood with aluminum C Channel running transverse so there's little or no sag. Glue the aluminum to the wood then wrap the wood with Marine carpeting adhered with 3M spray adhesive. On the exposed edge, you can use a router to put a slit in the end grain so a vinyl 3/4" "T molding" just snaps in. Mine is strong enough that I feel confident sitting on just one section spanning the van. I'm at work but I'll try to post pics in a couple days.
Our pads are separate, we used a 3" memory foam topper from Costco which is a personal preference but I like that it can easily be replaced/ cleaned etc.
Tor
https://pantherrvproducts.com/105-67...saAiaTEALw_wcB

https://www.orangealuminum.com/shelf...8aAkmgEALw_wcB
Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #7

Thanks Tor! Would love to see some pics when you have the time.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #8

We put a 3” topper on top of the SMB build. We couldn’t get comfortable as it was.
pdkersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #9

Full disclosure this design is from Dai at (Defunct?)Opt Overland, I think its similar to other upfitters.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5199.jpg   IMG_5200.jpg   IMG_5086.jpg   IMG_5091.jpg