Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #11

I think you can still find it here
http://www.defender.com/ Search XBM
But, I think I would go with the newer replacement, the linklite or linkpro, I haven't actually given it much of a look, to see what the added benefits of the Pro is seeing as I already have a working XBM. I believe it is worthwhile to purchase the temperature monitoring kit. Also I don't think the newer model is any more expensive then the older one.

I can't really compare between the XBM and Link10 as I really have only used the XBM.

You will also need a piece of 1/0 cable to install the shunt, that is not included in the install kit. Jackrabbit marine use to include it in their kit, but I see they went out of business.

Greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #12

LinkPro Plug

I installed the LinkPro - love it. JackRabbit Marine stocks, also has much cheaper cable. I mounted mine in an ABS case from an electronic supply store. Simple wiring but will need to install a shunt which requires new terminals on battery cable.
SMBReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #13

Cool. Someone that's actually installed one! I don't suppose you took any pictures or did a write up?

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Did you have to drop the battery to do the install?

When you say you mounted it in an ABS case, is that the little round readout/display thing or the shunt?

What model van do you have and do you have any bright ideas on where to mount the display or the shunt?

I'm pretty comfortable behind a set of tools so I'm not too concerned. I just wonder if you have any advice of what to do or not to do.

Thanks in advance...
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #14

LinkPro

Cool. Someone that's actually installed one! I don't suppose you took any pictures or did a write up?

No, but I could if needed which I doubt - instructions are pretty clear and are available on line.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Did you have to drop the battery to do the install? I actually moved my new AGM inside and mounted on the floor (long story), but it would likely be necessary. You have to substitute the positive lead with two wires to install the shunt, add a fuse to the positive pole, and if you choose, a temperature lead. I dropped the AGM with a floor jack and a bunch of shims or you could purchase a transmission lift to support it.

When you say you mounted it in an ABS case, is that the little round readout/display thing or the shunt?

The display. I didn't have a good location that was easy to see (now, I would mount on the dash). So, just got a little grey ABS box I mounted the gauge in and can velcro where convenient.

What model van do you have and do you have any bright ideas on where to mount the display or the shunt? EB 350, model 50 interior. On the starboard side there is a compartment with from rear to front: water heater, heater, and xantrex inverter. I mounted the shunt on the bulkhead in front of the inverter, and the AGM behind the water tank and adjacent to the inverter. I can send pics if you wish. I through bolted a piece of aluminum angle iron, added some stainless latches and used a set of cargo straps to hold the battery down in case of roll over (God forbid) I didn't want a 135 lb acid filled missile flying around.

Hope this helps. Xantrex sells a fancy connecting cable that has all the leads necessary, but as mentioned JackRabbit Marine sells cheaper version by the foot. Let me know if want pics.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #15

I believe unfortunately, jack rabbit went belly up. They had a nice install package. Westmarine also sells the battery cable. I did have to drop the battery for the install of temp sensor. I ran that with the ground cable . I probably have some pictures or could take some.

Greg
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #16

JackRabbit Marine

Bummer. I had great service from them, guess I was lucky and received my stuff just in time.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #17

I found some pictures, they were not of the best quality but here they are. I believe the hardest part of this was running the temperature sensor. I had to drop the battery and ran the wire with the ground cable. The shunt is installed under my gaucho as is the inverter and such. I think I have about 18" of cable that I put from the shunt to the SMB ground which is on that back wheel well.

The monitor is installed in the top of the Galley cabinet HA. It works great there while I am camping but I have thought of moving it up where I can see it while driving also.

I hope this helps

Greg
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #18

Outstanding. Thank you.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: LinkPro Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBReno
I installed the LinkPro - love it. JackRabbit Marine stocks, also has much cheaper cable. I mounted mine in an ABS case from an electronic supply store. Simple wiring but will need to install a sh
unt which requires new terminals on battery cable.
Finally got a chance to mock up the Xantrex Link 10.
It's real nice to be able to see the amps used and put back in.
Nicest feature at least.
I didn't have any idea how many amps I was consuming with different 12V devices and the UPS; turned on and off.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Re: Looking for new/upgraded voltmeter

I've entered the way-back machine and brought this thread back from an ancient SMB forum archived server, buried deep underground in a small town outside of Denver Colorado. I've been thinking about adding a battery monitor to my teardrop, and have been eyeballing the Xantrex Link monitors.

Currently, the trailer has a 12V battery and a shore power connection feeding the battery charger. I have no plans to install an inverter.

I do have plans to buy a Honda EU2000i which will provide worry free power, but only in certain locations where it's OK and/or necessary to run a generator (the driver being adding AC to the trailer). I might get a small, portable solar panel to keep the battery topped off when it's not being used at home, and possibly to replace at least part of the juice used by my fridge when I'm camped somewhere.

Now the big question. Do I get a nice solar controller that also provides some battery monitoring functionality, or get a dedicated battery monitor? The solar will not be a major aspect of my trailer, so I'm leaning towards a minimalistic solar controller (now or in the future), and I'm also leaning towards a dedicated battery monitor that will give me full knowledge of my power system.

Thoughts?

Herb