Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #1

Microwave...?

A quick search yielded only a couple of threads, so any info would be appreciated!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small foot-print microwave oven to run off of the house battery? It would be used often, but sparingly to heat up small meals for a 3 year old and warm formula for a newborn (plus a hot dog hear and there for dad...).

I know a microwave can be a power-hog; should we plan on having the engine on during use?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark & Mary...

Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

Re: Microwave...?

Look into this one, there is a thread about it.

http://www.thewavebox.com/

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars
A quick search yielded only a couple of threads, so any info would be appreciated!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small foot-print microwave oven to run off of the house battery? It would be used often, but sparingly to heat up small meals for a 3 year old and warm formula for a newborn (plus a hot dog hear and there for dad...).

I know a microwave can be a power-hog; should we plan on having the engine on during use?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark & Mary...
I've found the microwave to be far too much of a power hog to run off batteries only. It is useful, but not practical because I need to start the motor or generator.

If you find a lower power consuming unit, please let us know.

Rob
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Yeah a microwave will knock down a battery kinda quickly but I use mine all the time without running the engine. I only warm items that are easily and quickly heated. I use the low power settings for slightly longer times so the battery isn't pulled down too far from the bulk voltage while running. Having two 4-D batteries does help a lot.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

I erased the Micro outta our build...twice!

Wife kept putting back in

...one of the best items for us

pre cook meals at home or when camped
reheat in micro
decent meals, quick to fix

we have a xantrex inverter
a 4d and 2 group 27 (@ 400 amp hours

we regually use to reheat with no ill effects

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

For our build we only had a place wired for a microwave and chose one after the build was completed. Since no one has explicitly mentioned power ratings, I will. We picked a Kenmore 0.7 cu ft model with turntable (model 6907 bought two years ago). It was a throwaway at $60. The choice was primarily because it was rated at 700 W max, but with variable power levels below that, i.e. about half of a full-size one so it doesn't use up a huge percentage of our inverter's output and thus is more or less idiot proof if other things are consuming juice. We also have a big Kenmore at home, and this one's controls mimic it, so it is easy to use. It does fine making popcorn, which I was not sure about before the purchase!

We hardly ever camp with shore power. We have a 2000 W TripLite inverter that does NOT provide a sinusoidal output, and the Kenmore works fine. We also have an induction-type hot plate, the first model tried did not work on that type of inverter, but one from Costco did. Not sure if microwaves are fussy about that.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #7

We also get a fair amount of use ot of our SportsMobile installed unit , using it much the same as previously posted . We have never had any issues because of Solar maintained House Battery and for longer usage our Honda 2000 Watt Generator which is brought into action for larger amounts of food or liquid needed when a number of the Grand Children are along !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Garage

I agree with the positives. Best choice I made! Of course you need to be setup for the power requirement. I use it every day on a trip, and my rig and original house battery and solar panel system is six years old. I do use it sparingly, maybe 5-6 minutes a day.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #9

We use a toaster oven and never had any power problems. Another advantage of the toaster oven is it browns the food and great for small pizza's/burritos/etc. Ours is not attached to the cabinet so it can be moved where needed, (outside). For extended use I plug it into the generator. However it isn't fast.