Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #11

Re: Modified Energy Star 3.2 cu Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Not to throw cold water on such a promising 'fridge install but I'd be concerned with vibrations from driving it around installed in a vehicle.

These were built for stationary locations and the refrigeration plumbing shows this. The "dangling" capillary tubing etc just won't hold up over time in a vehicle.

Were this my install I'd look at ways to better secure and support all lines leading to and away from the compressor.

Otherwise this is a very interesting approach---would be nice if it can become a workable new trick for keeping things cold!
They hold up pretty well. I've had 110 fridges over time in a couple of vans. Also, they are so cheap that it almost doesn't matter if one dies after a few years.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS

On the down side my AIMS 150w sine inverter came in the mail today and it IS NOT big enough to handle the refrigerator start up. Goes crazy.
Perhaps a big fat starting capacitor between the inverter and fridge may work......just thinking out loud.....cheap and easy.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I'd be concerned with vibrations from driving it around installed in a vehicle.
Good point. We do not off road but do drive on non-paved roads sometimes. We have taken a 110v refrig with us for several years when we know we will be camping where 110v is available with no refrig durability issues. Have herd the compressor "clunk" a few times on rough roads. The capillary tube looks like an easy fix. The compressor is on very soft mounts and would have to think about that. It MAKES NO NOISE at all as installed. To tell the refrig is on I have to lightly put fingers on the right side of the refrig where the heat exchanger is. I can feel a very slight vibration there when it is running. Really like how quite the refrig is and as 86Scotty says they are very cheap.

"Perhaps a big fat starting capacitor between the inverter and fridge may work......just thinking out loud.....cheap and easy." What size would you recommend. Across the hot and ground, or in series on the hot side??? Radio Shack as a source. Out of my element!!!

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS

"Perhaps a big fat starting capacitor between the inverter and fridge may work......just thinking out loud.....cheap and easy." What size would you recommend. Across the hot and ground, or in series on the hot side??? Radio Shack as a source. Out of my element!!!
OK, did 5 minutes of google research and I don't think it will help.......motors that use starting caps have another winding that boosts the starting torque and then typically a centrifugal switch takes the cap out of the circuit.....like on most table saws and air conditioners....slightly above my head as well....but you don't have another winding or a centrifugal switch.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Looks great. An efficient mod. Are you going to put a wood facing on the door to cover the insulation? The pink looks out of place in your rig.
Here is your answer Larrie:

I am using 1/8" birch plywood to cover all the foam that can be seen (not the back).

I had extra foam board left over so a doubled the door foam thickness from 1/2" to 1" and the same with the top of the refrigerator. You can also see in the pics the 5" filler panel I made to space the refrigerator from our drawer unit. Added two vent holes to it and found some computer fan guards to dress the holes up.

Will post a pic when I finish varnishing everything and get it in the van. Am also rechecking the refrig power draw with the added insulation to see if it makes any measurable difference.

The thicker door no longer opens wide enough to adjust the refrigerator shelve location w/o removing the door. I see that as a minor point. Think I would have had the same problem with 1/2" of insulation in the door.

The Green TARDIS
Old 06-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #16

Nice solution. It looks great.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #17

Nice clamp collection

Fridge looks good too.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #18

Here is the final installation.
My limiting item now are my 6 year old house batteries. New they could supply 115 Ah (50% use level) but now are 50% discharged at 50Ah. Wasn't a problem since I switched amp sipping LED's but now with a refrig it will be. New batteries? Solar? Probably both??

Our old system

The new and hopefully improved.....

The Green TARDIS
Old 06-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Fantastic matching job . It looks perfect. I'll bet you guys will love it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #20

Solar I definitely the way to go. Have no regrets with the system we installed. We have one group 36 battery and it runs all the 12v stuff just fine plus recharges all our gagetts. No on board 120v systems.

You did a great job matching the finishes which I know is hard to do.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote