Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Name That Button!

Hi All - just bought the family a used Sportsmobile diesel 4x4 out of state and drove it 2,000 miles home! It was a great road trip.

If anyone could provide some insight as to what the circled buttons in the attached picture do, it would be greatly appreciated. The previous owner was not sure. The are immediately to the left and right of the espar furnace interface above the rear passenger side window. There is no mention of them in any of the manuals.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
hmm.JPG  

sperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Re: Name That Button!

Do you have an outside "porch" light? If so, one may control that.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Yes there is a porch light, however there is another button that controls that porch light (and its nicely labeled too).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Name That Button!

Looks like controls for an Espar heater. The "1/2" button position depends on your altitude, as I recall 2 is for over 5000 feet. I believe it controls the number of fuel pumps used by the Espar. The unlabeled button is "continuous heat". The Espar normally runs on a timer and shuts off after a max of 2 hours. This button defeats the timer.

At least, that's what the controls do on our van, and they look identical to your setup.

-- gordon
gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

awesome! thanks gordon. I wish i knew about that continuous heat switch on our way home - it went down into the 20's in the penthouse when the 2 hour timer shut off the heater.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Name That Button!

Glad I could help identify the mystery buttons.

Thought I'd add a couple of Espar tidbits that we've learned.

At higher altitudes, say over 7k or so, the unit has a tendency to run for a while and then fault with an "overheating" code ( f12 or f5 if my lame memory is correct). We've found that propping open the cabinet hatch above the unit (we're an rb50) prevents that. I'm guessing it's an airflow issue.

After every use, we now run the unit on high for about 15 minutes to prevent carbon buildup. Pulling an Espar from an rb50 to clean it is no fun.

-- gordon
gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Gordon is correct on the buttons (obviously). The only thing I can't remember is if the 1/2 button should be flipped to 2 if over 5,000 feet or over 7,000 feet.

Also, run your Espar on high for 25 minutes once a month to clear the gas lines. This will also help prevent the carbon build up.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

You can adjust the default run time if you choose. Some like to program the timer to snap on towards morning to avoid waking to a cold van. I just run mine all night at a lower setting enough to keep the PH about 60 degrees but each has their own preference. One thing about that button is that you must get into the habit of turning it on first before you start the heater. If you start the heater and then turn on the timer button, the heater will shut down at the default time no matter what setting the switch is in. As mentioned, when I shut down the heater in the morning rather than turning the heater off, I crank up the temp to max and turn off the timer switch. You will see the timer switch to 15 min as it starts its countdown. I exit the van and leave the doors open so the unit runs on high for that 15 min. IMO (& I could be wrong) it's good to run the Airtronic on high from time to time to help burn off the carbon buildup.

You might have to test the altitude switch. I'm surprised it's there with the setup you have. Some have it and some are automatic. If the control panel was upgraded like mine, the switch was abandoned and is not is use. If it is still active you will find the altitude may vary from what is considered the normal height to turn it on. It's kind of a gray area, or at least with mine it was. If you're at 4000' and the switch is in the #1 position and the heater starts to blow cold air, shut it down and turn it to the #2 setting and start the Airtronic again. It's kind of a PITA and is why I upgraded to the automatic compensator.

Between the upgrades, how I run it, and since I started using Fords Cetane fuel additive, the Airtronic has not failed me. Avoid running it out of fuel. Most tanks are set to not let the Espar products run below a 1/4 tank. It can be difficult to regain the prime. You are supposed to run it on a monthly basis but I don't. I usually have a time where I go a few months between operation. Also make sure nothing blocks the unit itself or the exhaust/intakes are compromised by dirt mud or kinks. Had a mouse make a nest in front of the units cab air intake and it kept shutting down throwing an overheat code.
BTW you can get the instructions on line if you don't have them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote