Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #21

Re: Need help with the pro's and cons of hot water setups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
If you build something in you're stuck with it.
prally: I wanted to say the same thing about your Engel remote fridge build concept but I didn't want to rain on your parade because it is your parade and you may already know what you want even before you have experienced it. I think Engel is a good fridge, but I wouldn't do the remote and build it in.

Staying flexible until you use your rig enough to know what will make it more pleasant for your particular style of use might be a good way to go initially.

I went with the Engel and then made a frame for it behind the driver's seat which extends aftward to hold the cassette toilet which doubles as a seat with a cushion on top to disguise it and under the Engel is where my 5 Kw genset control box goes and the former Xantrex XM MPPT60 Solar Charge Controller and former Xantrex Prosine 2550w inverter charger. (But the rig is in pieces now so none of these systems are currently functional.)

Anyway, I have bolted and unbolted that frame at least 10 times: cutting it and rewelding it to add metal to raise it and then to extend it aftward and then to angle the front of the frame to match the incline of the driver's side seat back. It is embarrassing. It looks like Frankenstein (as said before, I am a grinder trying to become a welder...) And it is nearly exactly what I want it to be and to do. I will skin it when I am done, but I won't be done until I learn how to remake it out of aluminum. And I don't have the push-pull gun for my Millermatic 350p and I should probably learn to tig but I don't have that equipment either.

But the point is stay flexible and let the design talk to you from your experience and needs.

For instance, I don't have a stove. I don't like to cook unless I am bbq-ing and I do that outdoors. My wife cooks but not when we travel. We like to be out in whatever burg we are in when we travel. Eh? Or when boondocking there are usually fish and a bbq. So a microwave is clean and easy and generally enough for our "cook" time in the van.

My wife and I have used and like the Zodi on the Grand Canyon and MF Salmon -- i.e., in the sand in the Summer. But we don't want to shower outside in the snow. I mounted my Webasto Dual Top furnace / water heater behind the differential in front of the spare tire because I am afraid to run a furnace inside, but I probably shouldn't be, but being outside I am afraid water might freeze in it when I don't have it on. So, I haven't used the water heater function. I would eventually like to try the dual voltage 12v dc 120v ac small water heater with some solar charging diverted to it. So, I really don't know what my ultimate hot water design will be yet. But I do know that you could try the Zodi or even the electric water heater dealy and not be locked into a permanent install.

So, one way to approach your ultimate design could be to do the big stuff first, the top, 4x4 if you want, and then use your rig and let your design unfold.

If you we were talking skis I would say "demo! demo! demo!"

H! First off, I am from Seattle dude, I can handle the rain so bring it!!! I came to you dudes for your thoughts, learnings and opinions. No egg shell walking required here!

I was very much considering the same thing. One catch is getting the 4 key things to be an RV in place for me. I certainly was considering the pure external unit for more built in storage where it would have been. I am starting to thing having a build date of March might be a good thing for me to just figure out what works for me!

Really appreciate all the intel here, I am learning tons and refining my build to reflect that. I feel like I should pass a visor around for everyone to autograph!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #22

Thanks buddy! I am not good on eggshells, and my needs and my experience are limited and there are a lot more experienced members (on their second SMBs, etc.) on this forum, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

And when you pass that visor around, make sure it is orange and black...
Yeah baby! 7:1 top of the 8th!!!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by prally
and you cannot really ensure a solar type shower works here in WA
I guaranteed my solar shower worked in coastal BC and cloudy places...I just brought a stove to heat the water

It's always hard to answer a question like yours, prally, since everything in a SMB is a trade off. I don't have propane or hot water tanks, but do have internal water storage with pump and a small sink. I cook outside a lot, and since I'd need a stove for that anyway, I passed on an internal built in. Ditto with hot water; I've lived for long periods in places without it and used stoves or fires to heat it so no biggee to not have it. BTW, if you do go without a dedicated hot water setup and use a stove, get what folks use who have woodburning stoves and the like, a nice thick cast iron kettle. Folks have been cleaning themselves with that and a couple of basins since metal was invented.

And I hate indoor showers. Again, YMMV but in a small enclosed space things can get quite soggy after a couple of them. A well vented combo toilet/shower helps, but only goes so far. And it is a big tradeoff in space.

And as you can see, there are several after-built choices. I had a Zodi, but didn't like it (should sell it one of these days), and there are the Eco Temps and what not that can be run off propane cylinders, and even combo tanks heaters from Coleman. If you build something in you're stuck with it.

Love this kettle advice, a good grounding for sure. Worth noting, in any scenario, I am not planning on indoor showers, I agree, real estate is waaay too important for that. I can leave my mess outside I hope.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #24

I usually bring along the Coleman Hot Water on Demand. It works great and very quickly but is bulky.
http://www.coleman.com/product/hot-w...0#.VEcu76ZHaJI

Overland Expo had a bunch of the AquaCubes that seemed to also do the job.
http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/aqu...le-shower.html

I like this system because it is portable so I can use it in the van with venting or haul it outside. It also functions as a shower as well.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #25

KTMRider: Two things bug me about our Coleman on demand, so let me know if yours is maybe newer and maybe they fixed these things:

1. It only works on battery power. You can plug it in to the ac charger to charge, but it won't work when the ac charger is plugged in;

2. It keeps circulating to keep from melting the components. So I put the nozzle in the cold water bucket after wet down and during soap up, but by the time I am ready to rinse, the water is too hot to be comfortable. And forget about it for the person showering second (which is usually me).

OK, it looks like the Aquacube you referred to directly addressed these two issues. Anyone have real world experience with them? Amazon's price is higher than that listed by Mr Heater, but the reviews are pretty good and they compare the with the Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Basecamp-Heater-A ... +mr+heater

Since except for the two flaws mentioned above with the Coleman, I was happy with the concept i.e., use it outside in the Summer use it inside in the Winter, I will probably go with the Aquacube Basecamp over an electric water heater. No installed dedicated water storage tank required. No separate pump and fixture required. And portable.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
KTMRider: Two things bug me about our Coleman on demand, so let me know if yours is maybe newer and maybe they fixed these things:

1. It only works on battery power. You can plug it in to the ac charger to charge, but it won't work when the ac charger is plugged in;

2. It keeps circulating to keep from melting the components. So I put the nozzle in the cold water bucket after wet down and during soap up, but by the time I am ready to rinse, the water is too hot to be comfortable. And forget about it for the person showering second (which is usually me).

OK, it looks like the Aquacube you referred to directly addressed these two issues. Anyone have real world experience with them? Amazon's price is higher than that listed by Mr Heater, but the reviews are pretty good and they compare the with the Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Basecamp-Heater-A ... +mr+heater

Since except for the two flaws mentioned above with the Coleman, I was happy with the concept i.e., use it outside in the Summer use it inside in the Winter, I will probably go with the Aquacube Basecamp over an electric water heater. No installed dedicated water storage tank required. No separate pump and fixture required. And portable.
1.) True that the built in battery must be charged for it to work. I have never had a problem with running the battery low but that potential is there and could be frustrating.

2.) Expedition Portal has a thread some SAR guy posted with a link to a YouTube video about adding an inline valve to recirculate the water when you aren't using it. I can find it if needed. I bought the valve and hose but haven't needed it yet.

3.) The one thing that does bug me is the faucet portion only comes out one direction. This limits where you can place the unit at times. I like to have it near the sink in the van and drop the pump hose through the extra soap dispenser opening in the sink and into a reliance water jug that has an opening perfect for the pump. Works great and then I can refil that jug if needed from the on board water tank which holds 20-30 gallons or something. I actually have never had to refill it on a trip but if I were going on a longer outing I would.

I don't recall the Aquacube being on the market when I was looking so the Coleman was my choice. If I had to do it now I might choose the other as long as the reviews are good.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #27

Two people I travel with have the AquaCubes and for the most part seem happy with them. There are some quirks that I will try to find out about and report back.

I now have the Triton on demand heater and it works great up to 11,250 as of this last weekend.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #28

KTMRider: Since I have the Coleman already, I might as well try the mod you suggested. I looked on youtube but couldn't find it, so yes, if you could post a link that would be great. I have also been thinking about trying to modify the power supply to be powered by the van's 12v house battery since I have already replaced the internal battery once on the Coleman. Another project I don't have time for...

prally: If I had to chose between the Coleman and the Aquacube, I would definitely buy the Mr. Heater Basecamp Aquacube, the fact that it has a separate faucet and spray is appealing and the hardware is metal and just seems better designed and manufactured than the plastic Coleman (e.g., my spray hose needs to be replaced because the plastic connector broke) and you can use it with the 12v dc or 120v ac adapters even when the battery is charging and you can turn off the shower at the handle when soaping.

prally: Keep looking into your options including haywood's Triton on demand water heater.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #29

Hey HaywoodPhoto: Is this the unit you are talking about?

http://www.overstock.com/Emergency-Prep ... oduct.html

It is on sale at overstock.com for $125 which seems like it could be a good price (they say 64% off MSRP).
Old 10-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #30

Thats the one....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote