Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

need multi-purpose cargo/work/sleep/eat/tailgate section

I'm designing and shopping for my next rolling home/van/office, leaning towards

http://sportsmobile.com/2_rb-150s-pt.html

Mercedes Sprinter RB 144” WB (19' 4” L)
Sportsmobile RB150S with penthouse top
floorplan features sofa 54” x 72”
looks like 2 main cushions of 54” x 27” join, with 18” add on for sleeping

Here's where I need advice, a simple tip, or something out of the box.

I want the back 1/3 of the van to be multi-purpose and easily adjustable – for cargo, riding, sleeping, sitting, eating, working, tailgating – so it seems I need the sofa platform to be/do/have the following

1) 54” x 54”, folding in half, flat, or adjustable upright up to 90”
2) slides completely back or front, whether flat, upright, or folded in half
3) faces back or front when upright, and when slid completely back or front
4) approx 28” high, the height of a common desk/workstation (will be used as such often)
5) cushions stow, platform folds in half, can be used in any position named above
6) platform also attaches (sideways the long way) to passenger side in front of rear side window for another work space (stow cushions, fold platform in half)
How can I do #6? Are there existing fixes for this? An added support mechanism for the platform base? A 90% swivel pivot for the platform base? Am I correct in assuming #1- #5 above are no problem to build? Any photos, ideas, warnings, tips? Totally different approaches? Thanks a lot – hope to see you on the road soon!

poetryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Re: need multi-purpose cargo/work/sleep/eat/tailgate section

Not sure I get what you're looking for- basically a sectional of storage benches that can be arranged any way?

You have to figure out how to latch them down for travel, and once that is done you can put your latching mechanism anywhere, have the boxes in any position.

2 54x18 bench/boxes with cushion (say 5" thick)
1 54x18 folding bench (just table and legs with two 54x18" cushions 1/2 as thick as box cushions, say 2" along one 54" edge and 3" at other)

So you get a 54x54 platform in 3 pieces- mounts on 18" squares all over and you can put 3 together either direction for a bed or one on each wall, table stowed and cushions as backrests. Move one to across the back doors and the other to under the side window (additional 18" square mounts).

Don't have any idea if that is anything near what you had in mind, but for SMB's part they usually builds everything in permanently.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Garage
Re: need multi-purpose cargo/work/sleep/eat/tailgate section

I think you may be interpreting the SMB floor plan wrong. That looks similar to an RB-50. The rear portion (maybe 28") of the sofa/bed is fixed in place as a luggage self. Look at the pictures from the back with the seat up. Then the seat folds out or down and forward to make the 72" long bed. So there are more pieces to deal with than what you might be thinking.

Our Honda mini-van had a 3rd row seat that could flip facing backwards. But it couldn't slide fore and aft. One thing to consider about a sliding seat, is it takes a lot of hardware which eats up valuable storage space under the seat.

I think turning the platforms 90 degrees would be impossible inside the van. They fit snugly between the wall and the cabinets, so they can't be turned.