Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #11

We use a Captain chair for our boy, was originally an airport van from what I can tell, but bolts in where factory seat mount is.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_210102_846.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	35359

NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #12

I picked these up this weekend, pretty good deal. Now need to figure out a mounting option. Might use them for the front seats or on for passenger front and one for rear seat. Still figuring that out.
PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #13

New baby need ideas for seating

new seats

Click image for larger version

Name:	sienna seats (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	36198
Old 05-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #14

New baby need ideas for seating

Does anyone know if these are DOT? I think they are from an airport shuttle van and should bolt right up.

Name:	airport seat 2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	39897

Name:	airport seat.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	39898
Old 05-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #15

I have 5 of those seats for our van, 2 that came with it and 3 that I bought on CL. The CL seller told me they came out of a specific crew model with captains' chairs in the rear, although I have no way to verify that and I'm not sure I believe it. Considering that they were likely used in airport vans etc., I have made the assumption that they are DOT rated. Best selling point is that they're very inexpensive.

I'm not sure how comfortable they would be for adult passengers on a long ride, as our primary use has been carrying our two young children in child seats. The biggest negative I've found is that the seatbelts don't have a ratcheting lock for use with child seats. It hasn't been a problem for us, but it would have been nice.

Mine are mounted to Unwin lockers, and I have L-track front to rear with the stock spacing (two different widths for the bases). Makes for an incredibly versatile seating setup! We can swap in the seats easily to carry up to 7 passengers if needed, and move them around for additional space where needed (such as loading our bikes in back) thanks to the integrated seatbelts. Here's a representative photo from the cargo area:

For that matter, you can actually put them on the tracks backwards if you wanted (maybe for an indoor eating setup?)--although I wouldn't recommend driving with passengers like that.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #16

Those are DOT compliant and tested, and came from https://www.cvcandmore.com.

Depending on the seating package the original van came with, they may or may not bolt into the OEM seat mounting holes. The quick-release ones won't. They mount into tracks. The non-quick release version fits most of the OEM mounting points, but the right-side requires new holes and backing plates, as do the mid-ship legs on the double seats.

PNW-Van, from the little bit of leg I can see in your pics, I think you have the direct-mount version. Which is what I have in my van.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #17

Thanks guys.
Kibo, you said "The biggest negative I've found is that the seatbelts don't have a ratcheting lock for use with child seats.". That's what I am looking for is something to use with a child seat. Are you saying these aren't safe or won't work?
Old 05-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Those are DOT compliant and tested, and came from https://www.cvcandmore.com.
Thanks carringb! I don't see them listed on their site, so I assume it's an older model and you have familiarity with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Kibo, you said "The biggest negative I've found is that the seatbelts don't have a ratcheting lock for use with child seats.". That's what I am looking for is something to use with a child seat. Are you saying these aren't safe or won't work?
Not at all--I think they're safe, or I wouldn't trust my children's life to them. The downsides in my opinion are purely from a convenience perspective. Let me explain.

On many (most?) vehicles, you can activate a ratcheting lock feature by pulling out the seatbelt all the way. Once activated, you'll hear the seatbelt mechanism ratcheting as the seatbelt is retracted and it will not allow the seatbelt to extend again until the seatbelt has been nearly completely retracted. This is ideal for use with a child seat, as it allows you to tighten the seatbelt down like a ratchet strap. Contrast this with the "normal" seatbelt mode, which uses an inertia lock. Pull quickly and it locks, but move slowly and it will allow the seatbelt to extend--ideal for adult passengers, who generally want to be able to move around with minimal restriction.

The ratcheting lock makes it easier to lock the child seat in place once it's positioned, as all you have to do is pull the seatbelt tight and let the ratchet do the work. However, all of the child seats I've used have a built-in seatbelt lock that clamps over the shoulder portion of the seatbelt once it's positioned. This accomplishes the same thing, it just requires a little extra work to pull on the seatbelt while activating the clamping device. So the ratcheting lock (in my opinion) is more of a convenience and foolproofing feature. The ratcheting lock "feels" more secure because the upper strap pulls the child seat against the seatback when stationary, but in an accident the inertia lock will function just as well.

In case it isn't obvious, these seats don't have lower anchors for LATCH. Again, I feel that LATCH lower anchors are primarily a foolproofing/convenience solution, to ensure that child seats are installed correctly and make them easy to install or remove. They are no safer than a proper lap seat belt installation.

My seats had a bolted-on latching point on the rear of the frame that suggest it was intended for use with a LATCH tether, but the tethers on our child seats aren't long enough to reach due to the height of the integrated headrest. From a safety perspective, a seat that can accommodate an upper tether would be safer than these seats (when used with forward-facing child seats), as this can prevent the child seat (and hence your child's head) from moving forward up to 4-6 inches in an accident. That said, in our van application there's no ceiling/seat/hard objects for our kids to hit their heads against, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing the safety of my children by not having upper tethers.

By the way, since storage is always at a premium, we've found the space between the legs is ideal for storing small things like our camp chairs, down throw blanket, etc. The wider base even has a (removable) crossbar to keep things from sliding out.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #19

Kibo thank you for the detailed info, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:18 AM   #20

No problem, advice is free with a money back guarantee!
Kibo is offline   Reply With Quote