Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #1

New baby need ideas for seating

We have a baby on the way in Jan (surprise) and now need to change our build plans.
1997 EB E350, with a temporary bed in now. Looking for seating ideas, I have done some research but really haven't found anything that I like yet.
I think the EB50 build would work pretty good, but seems like those are rear bed/seats are custom by Sportsmobile. There are a ton of sprinter/transit/Ford/Chevy seats on CS. Thought about mounting something like that to the floor. I do already have a floor installed.
Also like the idea of two captain's chairs, but we have 3 dogs. seats would take up alot of room.

Pics would help, thanks

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

Get a single captains chair behind the driver. Anything on the passengers side gets in the way when you are getting in/out.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #3

Garage
PNW, have you looked at the Siennas? I have mine on L-track now but the pic below is from when they were bolted through the floor. Base is from UJoint. I really like them. They have integral seatbelts so you can place them anywhere. They also have the proper connections for baby seats.

Seems like there have been a number of folks selling them here on the forum lately. Take a look at my album and you’ll see some drawings I did for designs/seating. And congratulations!

Old 08-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

I installed a flip up console seat from an F150 between the two front seats. I built a sturdy box with storage, and stash spot for a base. Then bolted the whole assembly in. It held his car seat backward, then forward facing. He drives now.

I was concerned about safety, airbag deployment etc. Turned them off when he was young, so not recommending this to anyone.

I like to think he enjoyed the view and company being up front. I know I did!

Totally wrecks the walk-through, but could climb over easily.
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Thanks guys,
I think I’ll most likely go with the captains chair behind the drives sear. Maybe find a Sienna seat and mount it on a swivel.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

I agree captain chair behind the driver is the way to go. On my first van I had a tri-fold bench seat in the back that I strapped my son's car seat to and it was a major problem on windy roads. Also uncomfortable for my wife to ride back there with him when he got sick. Half a dozen pukes later and our new van has captain chairs right behind the driver and passenger (just had my second kid). Much better driving experience.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #7

New baby need ideas for seating

I added a second row captains seat on swivel base to both my old 98 SMB and my newer 2011 SMB. Not super hard to do, but it depends on your layout (assuming you have a built out interior). On my 98 I removed the sink cabinet on the barn door side and on my 11 there was space. I took some pics and should do a write up one of these days. Hardest part was anchoring the shoulder belt to the van body. You could avoid this by using seats with the shoulder belts built into the seat, but I like the extra anchor to the van body.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #8

PNW,
Check out my build thread starting on page 4.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...d-14849-4.html

I've mounted the back seat out of a Chevy Tahoe, I think it was a 2014. Bought it on ebay from a guy in Texas. It may have been a sheriff vehicle take out.

We have two kids and wanted to put the bench seat back far enough to make a "living room" area combined with the front swivels. It worked great. We do have some fairly bad vibrations that come through the rear seat while driving. The seat belts have been a challenge.

I had very talented fabricator do the install and i've been quite happy with it.

Good luck. Those Sieanna seats look ideal.
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #9

Garage
PNW, did you see this post? Sienna seat and swivel base for sale.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ase-26813.html
Old 08-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

That is a nice seat, but unfortunately the wrong color