Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

New Fridge Advice

Looking for some help in buying a new fridge. Have read lots of posts here about different models and pro's and con's but still had some questions.

I have a basic build. 1 group 27 110ah battery for a fridge and lights/water pump-that's about it. Plan on adding solar at some point to extend use. Efficiency, reliability and cost are the most important factors for me.

Looking at the Engel models and the Truck Fridge.

Engel SM-70F 60 quart. Input rating DC 12/24V - 2.5A. Power Consumption 3 Amps Max. Around $675 shipped

Truck Fridge TF65-65 liter. Nominal input 60 watts. Average consumption 24 watts/hour. $574 shipped.

Not totally sure how to compare the efficiency of these 2 fridges or how reliable the specs are? Any help or past experiences would be greatly appreciated. Are there other manufacturers I should be looking at or does anyone have good experiences with one of these?

Thanks a lot-I need cold beer soon.....

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Re: New Fridge Advice

I would also check out Isotherm and NovaKool fridges. I plan on putting a NovaKool R4500 in my build. Should set me back $1k...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Isotherm 85 with ASU will fit in the space nicely and be much more functional. They start at $1030 and up from there if you get the sainless version.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3953&hilit=isotherm.

Last November, I paid:

ISOT-1085EE4MKU000 ISOTHERM CRUISE 85 ASU SS REFR. - 12/24 VDC ONLY, RIGHT SWING,
4 SIDED SS FLANGE (Wt 53) (ShDim: )
1 1 1,052.00 1,052.00
FXGR FEDEX GROUND 64.00 64.00
FXINS FED EX INSURANCE $4.00/1000 4.00 4.00

Alisha Chang
Marine Warehouse
Phone: 305-635-0776
Fax: 305-436-3757
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I've had a couple Vitrifrigos: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories

Very quiet and efficient.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Ketchum - Any idea on your actual current draw over a 24 hr. period with the ASU unit?

The Truckfridge and Isotherm units are very similar - I've got an Isotherm 130 and a buddy has the TF and they look nearly identical, and most importantly both have the Danfoss compressor.

My actual power usage is probably pretty close to their claimed use of averaging 24w/hr. This would translate to 24w / 12v = 2a / hr. I see about a 3.8-4.0a draw while running and see about a 50% duty cycle. This is all fine and good until you want to be somewhere for any period of time, because 24 hours @ 2a = 48aH used out of your 110ah battery (which is about as much of its capacity as you'd want to use for reasonable battery life if it is an AGM battery).

If you are going somewhere every day (and driving long enough to charge) or have the opportunity to plug into shore power then you've got no worries. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend an additional battery or a solar system to keep a healthy electrical system and not dive too far into your battery reserves (ie below 50% capacity).

After reviewing actual consumption of 12V fridges you can see why the propane option was commonly used in RV applications - especially before the availability of solar.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Thanks for the info and advice. Still not totally sure what I'm going to buy, they all seem fairly close on efficiency. Solar seems like it will have to be a part of the program from the start.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #7

Just saw a post on one of the VW lists about factory seconds at Truckfridge. Apparently they have a full warranty but you have to call and ask to find out what they have in stock. Some of the prices were less that half the costs mentioned above. Might be worth a call.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Just saw a post on one of the VW lists about factory seconds at Truckfridge. Apparently they have a full warranty but you have to call and ask to find out what they have in stock. Some of the prices were less that half the costs mentioned above. Might be worth a call.
I called Truck Fridge this morning. Guy who answered said I was the second person to call about the "factory seconds." What they actually have is trade-in units that come off Semi trucks. Not necessarily good fridges, so I'd stay away from them. I'm now considering coughing up a few extra bucks for an ASU unit from Isotherm...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Well, just goes to show you can't believe everything you read online Sorry about the mislead for the truckfridge, the person who posted claimed to have bought one himself as a second. Good to know it's not true.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #10

"My actual power usage is probably pretty close to their claimed use of averaging 24w/hr. This would translate to 24w / 12v = 2a / hr. I see about a 3.8-4.0a draw while running and see about a 50% duty cycle. This is all fine and good until you want to be somewhere for any period of time, because 24 hours @ 2a = 48aH used out of your 110ah battery (which is about as much of its capacity as you'd want to use for reasonable battery life if it is an AGM battery)."

Sorry for the crazy late reply. Regarding power usage. My Isotherm in ASU use was 0.8A at startup (warm refrigerator) or engine running and not in power conservation. The unit would be running at draw .4 amps while compressor is running with ASU on at at night...no solar, no engine running. This was rated from my xantrex pro. My duty cycle was far less than 25%. The unit is so silent, this is likely an underestimate. We however live in the Pacific NW and I live year around in Ibex wool, it seems. The demand on the fridge is less than the rest of the US.

Hope this helps.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote