Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

New water pump puts out too much flow for sink.

I replaced the 30+ year old pump in my '79 Santana camper van with this Shurflo pump.

This camper only has a sink that uses any water so this pump was overkill but I thought it will last forever if the original pump lasted this long. The faucet has an electric on off switch controlling the pump and when you turn it on, water comes out the faucet with so much force it splashes all over the counter. Can I drop the voltage to the pump to slow it down? I tried two 1 ohm 10 watt resitors in series between the fuse and switch and it was just about perfect. Will this damage the pump motor? It only runs a few seconds at a time. The resitors get hot, will it cause a fire?

atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Garage
Re: New water pump puts out too much flow for sink.

If the pump can be throttled you could put a needle valve in line. Either way it will still use more power than necessary. 7.5 amps seems like a huge draw for a tiny little sink!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Your resistor is not man enough, it will burn out and depending on what's close, cause a fire or just leave you without a pump. W=A*V so you'll need about 100watt resistor. That will be hard to come by and consume a lot of power just to make heat. Personally I'd restrict the water flow close to the outlet of the pump, that way you'll have a lot of expansion in the tubing running up to the faucet to fill and reduce the splash. You could try a PWM controller, but that might ruin the pump over time as it'll just pulse it on and off very fast. But the desired effect is it'll never get full pressure. That's how many of the variable pressure pumps work.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

We have a 1gpm pump that uses 1 amp at 12 volts. Very adequate for our small sink. It also is activated by a switch. Maybe you could put some T's in the water lines and bleed the extra pressure and flow back to the water tank.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

Since you already have the pump you might as well use the pump you have.

Using a resistor will require a very large power resistor. And it will make heat. You could try a 12V light fixture as a resistor, with the benefit of the light telling you the pump is on (might not be a good idea in the middle of the night).

Or, put in a flow restrictor to reduce the amount of water delivered. It could be as simple as plug in the pump outlet with a small hole drilled in it. The water line has about a 1/2" ID, a plug with a 1/8" hole drilled through it will reduce the flow by a factor of 16. If the flow is too low, you can always keep drilling the hole larger until you get an acceptable flow rate.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote