Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #1

NORCOL does not always turn on--HELP

Hi All,
I have a NORCOL fridge. I have noticed that it does not always turn on. Sometimes it may take a couple of hours and I will go back and check and then its running. Tonight I connected to shore power and no power. Any suggestions before I have to pull it out and test amperage to the unit itself?
Sounds like maybe "something" is starting to go out with it..what would that be? Thermostat, etc? What would be my next steps? Thanks! Taking it to lake havasu this weekend for a 3 day wakeboarding/camping trip.

rogers112869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #2

Re: NORCOL does not always turn on--HELP

I don't know how old your unit is but on my older SMB the fridge off/on switch became unpredictable
from limited use. My assumption was that the contacts became dirty or corroded over time. My fix was to disconnect all power including the battery and turn the switch off and on about 50 times. That fixed it for me.

I don't know if this will work for you but that is where I would start. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

You may have 110v / 12v like my Norcold. If 110 is available the 12v doesn't draw, if not it runs off the 12v. Could your "intermittent" problem be something like starting the invertor, or a loose 110v plug in the wall behind?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #4

THanks Jage. My unit is a 12v/110v. I have had it connected to 110 shore power this weekend and no avail. I will probably make myself a project this weekend and pull it out to make sure I get power. I have toggled the switch back many times but did not have any luck.

Bentriderken - I hope it is only a loose connection...just seems strange the neither 110v and 12v would stop working???
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5

Rogers, there have been several threads over the last year or so that discussed fridge problems. The Norcolds seem to have a lion's share of problems, especially the older models like mine (1993 - original install by SMB). Mine's dual voltage, no propane. It works sometimes on 110, sometimes won't switch back to 12v, sometimes won't work on either. The units have a voltage-sensing, switching module that can go bad, as well as a thermostat that can fail, and an on-off switch that can fail as well. The latter two are relatively cheap. The former, while available, is very expensive. A half hour with Google will turn up lots of info on other sites and also a number of suppliers who offer replacement parts. I have ignored the problem over the winter but am about to replace the unit - why spend $$$ fixing an old, inefficient fridge when, for "only" about twice as much I can get a new one? It will be a different brand, however. Best of luck with yours!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #6

PSOMAKI - Thanks for the heads up. What kinda replacement fridge are you looking at?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #7

On the web I've looked at both Isotherm and Vitrifrigo. Gotta pull mine first and get the actual dimensions of the space SMB prepared for it. Also, I need to visit my local marine supply store (good, honest guys) to find out what 12v or dual voltage units they've had the best experience with. I'll post when I come to some conclusion.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #8

I have a Norcold TEKII Dual Voltage Refrig. DE2515 2 cuf. It may be available out of a 94 SMB that I'm thinking about parting-out.

You may be interested? or not.

I'm in Rockford, IL

Mike Markley3416
mikemarkley3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #9

Hey all....I appreciate the posts....I ended up unscrewing my thermostat controller. I noticed that I heard a switching noise when going between on/off. I noticed that if I keep the switch between the on/off, it works!! Not sure why it wont when in the on position. Anyway...looks like I need a new control switch!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #10

Mike, is it a Norcold DE251E? I'm not familiar with a DE2515. Is it original to the van (i.e., is it a 15-year-old fridge)? If it's a DE251E, which is what I have now, then it's no longer made and the parts that often fail (like the power supply) are not cheap. So, if that's what you've got, thanks, but I'll pass.