Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #11

Re: Norcold DE/EV 0041 3.6 cf fridge

Since you are using the same tool and method to measure the current as you did with the older unit, I would expect that the measurement you are getting is correct. I would not expect their spec sheet to reference a averaged value, as that would be dependent on the temp setting, outside temp, and ventilation of the install. All factors that they would not have any control over. I think you are totally correct in asking them about their numbers, I suspect that they not dumb enough to falsely advertise the current draw and that you may have a issue with your unit or install.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Buyer beware. Norcold changed the compressor and it now pulls twice the amps. Not happy about this at all Even the small unit is double the draw. Their planning to update their website one of these days.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Well, that really sucks........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Well, that really sucks........
Considering I just purchased a brand new unit, yes, yes it does. SMB isn't happy either. I just can't win!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

National Luna, FTW. Sportsmobile was impressed at how low the Luna draw is. Although I do not know if they have something that would fit that opening.

http://www.nationalluna.com/refrigeration.htm
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

And in part why I just went with the Norcold. Price had something to do with it and also that auto switching to AC while on shore power was a big consideration. I plug in at night and although my inverter puts out a small maintenance voltage, a larger amp draw would be more that it could handle and begin to draw the batteries down. Constant battery cycling shortens the life of batteries and those are expensive. Also leaving the batteries on a constant charge isn't a good idea especially in hot weather so I want a model that goes AC when it senses it. If I can't find that then I might have to add a converter.

But I still don't know what the change to the new compressor will do in the Norcold. I noticed it cooled down to operating temps much quicker than my old one. If the new compressor can put out more and cool quicker, the run times might be shorter. So for example if the old unit took say 1 minute to drop a degree but the new unit takes 20 seconds to do the same job, in the end the new compressor would be more efficient. That is going to take some testing.

You would think that Norcold would be bragging on that if its the case. Instead they haven't even updated their web site to show the changes

Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #17

Dave: When I was reading about your Norcold I came across a bad review (either Amazon or Westmarine) where they said it functioned fine on AC but wouldn't function effectively at all on DC. Maybe Norcold changed the compressor to fix this type of complaint. Or maybe the complaint was about the new compressor. Either way, you may want to try it on DC only for the rest of the warm weather to see if you have to return it or not.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I could be wrong, but I would assume the they are always working in DC and only convert AC to DC when AC is available.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #19

That is a huge bummer about the new, less-efficient compressor. Almost seems criminal to do that and not immediately reflect it in the specs. I had heard at a shop (when looking at various fridges) that they had a different compressor but had no idea it would draw any more, much less basically double. That's backwards!

I'm sorry you ended up with it.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I could be wrong, but I would assume the they are always working in DC and only convert AC to DC when AC is available.
Yeah I think that is correct and assume the reason they are more efficient in the AC mode is there is a stable voltage supply when converting AC. I could be wrong but on battery power it runs between specific voltages and at a lower the voltage the compressor has to work harder. It would make no sense to invert DC to make an AC compressor work.

But my point is if in fact the compressor has to run less to achieve the same results it might be a good thing...I just don't know yet.