Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Norcold DE441 I Finally WON! (I *think*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I noticed that SMB West is installing a newer version of the 2.7 cu ft fridge. Exterior dimensions are identical so it's a direct replacement. Interior layout is a little different. It's more square inside, does not have the bevel on the left hand side. Freezer is bigger and has a door. New compressor is supposed to be better. $720 on Amazon.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCT...2/Default.aspx
Check the running amps closely. I had the 4 cf installed and wasn't too happy to see the amperage increase from 3 amps to 6 amps. I'm still not sure what effect it will have. I seem to think it cools faster and the fridge doesn't stay on as long during its "on cycle" so in a sense shorter run time should equal out. But a lot depends on the ambient temps inside the vehicle and how well the insulation factor is in the fridge itself. The overall AH usage would tell the story but I'd like to see the stats over a wide range of outside temps.
BTW last November when it was installed, Norcold hadn't upgraded their info on the site and showed the old stats It took some pulling teeth to get them to admit of the increase in amperage. I'm not saying the new compressor is good or bad, just have not been able to get a grasp on it yet. These unit do not sip power but might cool much quicker. Just a heads up.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

Great fix! I need to do this as my DE441 doesn’t seem to cycle off and freezes the fridge compartment. I don’t understand 100% how to hook this up but I’ll try to figure it out. I’m not sure how I would turn the fridge off when I disconnect the turn knob.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote