Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Penthouse hold down

I have a 2009 with a penthouse top and the passenger side clamping bar is loose. This is one of the 2 up front bars that the J-hook for the penthouse top connects to. I go to close the J-hook lever and it really doesn't pull on anything anymore as the big black plate is loose. I tried tightening the bolt but there seems to be a nut on the other side of it that is loose as well and it's a no-go. How the F do you get to that bolt considering all the headliner and such that is in place? Darned if I know but I'd bet it's not going to be simple.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #2

The top side of where the nut would be located is a trim upholstered cap which runs the width of the opening. It is held down with screws. Remove the trim piece and you should have access to the nuts. Also once your top settles down your J hooks can be to long to snug up the top. You can take a 1/4 to 3/8” off the thread end of the J bolt and make the fastener tighter when you latch.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks Bell pilot. I was thinking of cutting that J-bolt yesterday but then the bar still needs to be tightened. I'll look for screw and things for the trim piece. Nothing stood out yesterday but it was a long day at that time.