Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr View Post
Here are the ones we have:

Hi,

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but this is the only similar photo I found.
I was installing the same braces (Sportsmobile supplied) today, but was a little concerned about hitting the light wires when screwing them in like that.

Does anyone know how the roof is wired? I.e. do they run directly to the light? I wasn't planning on unscrewing the whole wood part of the penthouse top to find out, unless I really have to.
Thanks

maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know how the roof is wired? I.e. do they run directly to the light? I wasn't planning on unscrewing the whole wood part of the penthouse top to find out, unless I really have to.
Thanks
The wood headliner holds up the canvas......so don't remove too many screws if you are going to poke around.

The wires run to both lights and solar if you have that........and perhaps you have a wired backup camera up there.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
....this is the only similar photo I found.
I was installing the same braces (Sportsmobile supplied) today, but was a little concerned about hitting the light wires when screwing them in like that.
Hi Maxx -
Hey, you say those auxiliary folding penthouse-support corner strut-rods are "Sportsmobile supplied" -- did you acquire them recently directly from Sportsmobile? (And if so....which SMB location?)

Curious if those are indeed something that can still be easily bought from any of the SMB locations.

(I'm sleeping up under a 22-year-old penthouse roof in my SMB (with all original hardware) and wouldn't mind the additional peace of mind of a set of those struts too.)

Best wishes to you for a smooth install!

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but this is the only similar photo I found.

Thanks
I've done this several times. The wires are just loose above the paneling as you suspect. There's no telling where they'll be. Sometimes SMB tapes them in place, sometimes not, but you can't tell where that might be anyway. I suggest taking the screws out of the roll-down window shade and then removing three or four ceiling panel from the corner. You won't risk screwing anything up. It's easily put back together. You can then either feel carefully between the ceiling panel and the roof where they are or you can climb a ladder outside and investigate with a light from the outside. Either way you should be able to shove them out of the way. I've had this same paranoia a few times and it is valid! There's no perfect and clean way to do it that I've found and a little scary guesswork is involved. Keep this in mind. If you hit a wire it's not the end of the world. You'll likely blow a fuse and know right away. I know that's not all that comforting but you just can't see up in there, it's easier just to feel your way around. One thing you could do is take a flat stick or wire fish and push the wires well out of your way while starting the screws, then remove, tighten your roof panel back in place and finish tightening the support rod screws. Almost anything you do involving the mating of the ceiling panels and canvas is much easier with a helper. Many hands make light work.

Hope this helps

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hi Maxx -
Hey, you say those auxiliary folding penthouse-support corner strut-rods are "Sportsmobile supplied" -- did you acquire them recently directly from Sportsmobile? (And if so....which SMB location?)

Curious if those are indeed something that can still be easily bought from any of the SMB locations.

(I'm sleeping up under a 22-year-old penthouse roof in my SMB (with all original hardware) and wouldn't mind the additional peace of mind of a set of those struts too.)

Best wishes to you for a smooth install!

Scott, didn't you just post some links to those things (table/leg props = same thing) on another thread? Seems like I just saw that a day or so ago.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #26

Garage
Thanks for all the info guys that was really helpful!
Well after installing the front legs today I realized that the penthouse top is 1/2" higher when closed, looks like the roof actually rests on the legs . So I decided not to go with a permanent fold down leg install. Instead i used the same legs SMB provided and added rubber caps on one end and felt on the other. I can still store the legs with clips to the roof so they are out of the way when not used. IMHO free standing legs just make more sense, or maybe I just didn't get how they were supposed to be installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hi Maxx -
Yes u can order them from SMB west for ~35$, i ordered them when they shipped me a new PH bed 6month ago. Having said that in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered since the fold down legs did not work for me (See above), could have just gone with dowels from home depot.
SMB also sells fold down gaucho legs for ~15$, gotta cut them to length as well.

On another note, I found that one of the scissor bolts had a loose nut and the other one was missing completely . Thats scary. I was planning on removing 2 links anyway, so I might see if its worth changing the bolts to shoulder bolts while I'm at it.
Bad Photo of the screw with the nut missing
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #27

FYI, Fresno uses a shoulder bolt, Austin doesn't. (Ask me how I know...)
If buying from SMB, suggest you purchase from Fresno.

Fresno shoulder bolt:

Failed Austin bolt with kept nut. (Obviously the nut is missing in his picture!):

Old 01-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
FYI, Fresno uses a shoulder bolt, Austin doesn't. (Ask me how I know...)
If buying from SMB, suggest you purchase from Fresno.[/IMG]
Hey Fitz ---

Was wondering --- do you know, offhand, how long Fresno has used shoulder bolts? Curious if the original scissor-leg bolts in my Fresno-built '95 would be of that variety. When I purchased the van (from its second owner), one of the nuts was missing from that bolt as well! Luckily we noticed it within the first half an hour and hit up a hardware store to grab a proper lock-nut (with the nylon insert).

It's been fine since....but there's been so many posts on here with people's tales of failed (or partially-wallowed-out) penthouse hardware.....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #29

Sorry, I have no idea how long Fresno has been using the shoulder bolt shown in the picture. I do know that I carry two spares in my van!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #30

FYI, you might not have to order that shoulder bolt. I went to the only specialty hardware store in my town looking for shoulder bolts to upgrade Twogone's top. They had no idea what I was talking about and suggested an 'axle bolt' instead. When he went to get one I realized we were talking about the same thing. It was about $7-8 I believe and I was able to reuse the little nylon spacer between, just had to drill out the holes bigger. On the install I did I added solid steel tubing (round bar) and drilled it as well but if you aren't taking your whole top apart it would be easy to just re-do the bolts.

Heavily worn grade 8 vs. shoulder bolt