Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse top bed - sleeping bags or blankets?

Wow! Thanks everybody! You've all given me so many ideas!

What we're gonna try for this trip is sharing blankets. Today I bought a queen size, number 4, down comforter! I got an amazing deal from a friend. We'll also bring along our Patagonia blankets for up around the shoulders, and use a queen size blanket to share. I also bought the boys some fleece long underwear, and I have some great "winter workout" pants with fleece for myself. I think we'll be good.

Thank you!!!!
Maura

mauratracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #12

Quick update.

We've used our new down comforter, with sheets and a blanket on our last two trips. One was in the Santa ruz mountains area in February, and the other was in Joshua Tree in March. We lucked out, and didn't have very cold weather on either trip, and thankfully we wereplenty warm with our new set-up. Can't say we really tested the theory, though, with the pretty mild temps we had. Honestly, we were a little overly warm, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. We're looking forward to a beach trip in May and an Eastern Sierras trip in early June....hopefully neither will test us much.

Maura
mauratracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauratracy
Hi there Sportsmobilers.
Maura in SoCal with a 2007 Ford E150 passenger van with just the penthouse top...but they told me at Sportsmobile that still makes us part of the family
Welcome to the Family!

My wife and I use a thick blanket on the PH and our little one uses a sleeping bag downstairs. We make sure that we are dressed warm during those cold nights. We were in Yellowstone last year with the temps dipping down to the 20's and we were fine. I didn't even have to turn the furnace on. Also I usually leave some bedding, 2 fleece blankets, and our thick blanket on the PH when down. Seem to work!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #14

mauratracy ,
All of of the above suggestions are valid and will assist you in those colder than normal situations , another tip for cold weather living and sleeping is to sleep with a Stocking Cap or Bellaclava on as this can keep ones core temperature up to 10 degree's warmer , depending on your ambient temperature's . The human body loses as much as 30 per cent of their body heat from the shoulders up . Another area of substantial heat loss is the Lower back / Kidney region.
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote