Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

PH Fan?

I understand there's a vented fan available for the penthouse top, but it's not the standard Fantastic Fan. They can only install up near the front of the vehicle. Would like to know if this is a good option to get and if it works ok. Has anyone tried to install something else?

Thanks,

Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Another hole in the top scares me plus its a place that takes up space for solar. I seem to remember someone having this but it might be on the roof of the cab. I would think about re-sale value even if you don't plan on solar. If it gets broke for any reason and starts to rain you have to deal with it. I can see having it with a voyager top do to ventalation but the PH top has enough screened windows for me. I do have a portable fantastic fan I can stick in the window that works well. I can also use it with the top down when the side windows are open. But just my opinion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

Mine had PO installed fantastic over the cab. It's awesome- first thing I'll do if I buy another SMB.

SMB will put a fantastic fan on the PH but I believe they will only put it in the back corner or something. Don't know anyone who has it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
First question would be how it is that you want to use the fan? What is it to accomplish?

Before creating another punture in the top I would want to make sure could not accomplish something similar with windows and/or other fans.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #5

We had Fantastic Vent Ceiling Fan in our earlier popup pickup camper. It was great and I wanted to add one to the PH top on our SMB.

Until I found they make a fan called the Endless Breeze:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/e ... reeze.html

This fan fits nicely in our slider windows and, other than not being mounted through the roof, functions about the same as the Fantastic Vent - only portable. It draws little power and creates a good airflow. By opening/closing PH windows we can make air flow where we want it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #6

When we went to pick up our van, a vent had been installed. It was circular and located at the front of the popup, behind the driver, extending a couple inches higher than the top of the van.

I asked them to take it out, which they did, reglassing and repainting.

I wasn't as worried about the leaks, given the lifetime pop up warranty against leaks, but I couldn't take the height since I was scraping to fit the van into my garage as it was.

If I lived in a hot area or did much desert camping, I think I'd find a way to add a vent. It seems like it could be a cost effective way to get more air circulating.

My 2 cents.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote