Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #1

Pop out window

Does anyone know where I can find windows that open this wide? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200521-173333~2.jpg  

Dagro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #2

Garage
Pm 868cotty. He’s knows the company that sells though. Keep in mind, those are for the chevy vans. Wish there was something like that for the fords.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #3

Garage
Those are metal panels. That was a work van option.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Pm 868cotty. He’s knows the company that sells though. Keep in mind, those are for the chevy vans. Wish there was something like that for the fords.
Had some enterprising outfit been a bit forward thinking any E-Series factory equipped with factory windows could have has something quite similar fitted and sold to the SMB-world. I have a friend who owns a Chevy work van with this option and its absolutely miraculous as a work truck option. With a built-out interior these same panels would be equally amazing with the increased cross air flow and nice vistas too.

Sadly that option never found its way into the Ford vans---boo hiss.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Garage
Ya, many of us have drooled over this possibility and, as a photographer, I would really appreciate it. It even gave me pause at one point to consider switching to the Chevy. Then I came to my senses and just got a poptop. Better all around.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

I have an E350 window van with a large, driver side pop-out window. I was wondering how far open it would go if the latches didn't constrain it.

It seems like a mod waiting to happen.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I have an E350 window van with a large, driver side pop-out window. I was wondering how far open it would go if the latches didn't constrain it.

That sort of modification would lead to sure breakage of the glass. As said those shown on GM vans were metal or fiberglass panels designed to deal with wind loading that will try to lift them and be able to withstand slight rough handling or abuse.

The GM versions have true rather heavy duty albeit small footprint hinges intended to swing just under a full 90* upward movement.

BTW IIRC that GM option was under $3K over the cost of the base vehicle, exclusive of any other options added during manufacture.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post

The design of the Ford van pop out windows won't allow the opening to be much more than the stock design (maybe 3-1/2"max). The range of movement all comes from flex in the mounting gasket and flex in the 2 metal plates that look like they could be hinges. There is no actual hinge.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagro10 View Post
I modified my 2006 E350 with one of these. It took a bit and I love it. Had to add some to it as the replacement was smaller than where I wanted to put it...also had to figure out the weather stripping. I ordered it from a wrecking yard in PA. Had it shipped to MO. It came with all the parts, 2 actuators, lift pistons. The guy who did the work....???? wish I had gone to a body shop...live and learn. It works though!
ldyhseplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagro10 View Post
Forgot to add this panel is fiberglass so its pretty easy to modify for someone who knows how to work it!!
ldyhseplr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop out, windows