Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

Just a thought: If you are worried about over stressing the fabric to a point of tearing here is an option. Buy 1" webbing material or whatever width you find, fold it or sew at each end. Another route is fold it twice and buy a Home depot available grommet kit. Unscrew the strut mount mounting screws, place the strap on the inside of the strut screws and you have creating limit straps! Use fender washers if necessary on just the fold version or even on the grommet version if you cannot find small enough grommets. You can stretch the strap up the body of the strut and put one zip tie on the strap attaching it to the body of the strut a couple of inches from the top of the body where the shaft comes out. You can also leave it alone and just tuck it into the material as you lower the top. Limit straps are used in off road suspension travel all day long so you can do this for added protection or ease of mind on your fabric tearing fears!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #12

Pop top struts

WELL GD! I wish I had seen this earlier. I just finished putting the new struts on and I am not taken those bitches off. Lol
What a great idea though. And I even have some 1in belt webbing and a grommet kit.
But those things were hard to get on. I got the 185lbs struts to make it easier to lift the top. They were a little longer than the old ones but only 3/4 in longer than what's called for. But it took 2 ratchet straps to compress it enough to get it mounted with the top all the way up.
The straps kept slipping off but I finally got it.
And it helped a lot. I can open the top mostly with one hand. The top doesn't looked to stretched but I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it apart and put a strap on. Actually, can you think of a good way to put the web belt on without removing the struts? I wonder if velcro would work to connect it.
Anyway, come up with your great ideas sooner would ya.
Thanks
B1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #13

The only other two options I see are, make a webbing loop to the length of the struts less 3/4" and slip them over the struts each time you lift it otherwise they will hang down and be a nuisance. Two if you have mounting surface on either side of the strut, do as I suggested with the grommets strap but mount them next to the struts.
Thinking further, on the loop style, you may be able to zip tie the loop in a couple spots on the strut body and one at the shaft mount end! It's worth a try so you don't have to slide them over each time and they won't hang down!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote