Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #1

Question Pop Top Leak

Howdy,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 E350 SMB 4x4. When I opened the pop top I noticed a leak had formed in the drivers side corner where the wiring comes in (manufacture defect?). The wood is a little punky in the ceiling and the wood slats that hold the canvas in-place is black with some mold on the canvas. Also concerned about the insulation between the fiberglass and wood panel ceiling. Please see pictures. Anyone else dealt with this before? I thought the top was warranted for life, but that may be with the original owner. I was also wondering if SMB would send one new wood slats, I could pull the old ones out and clean the fabric, so long as it is not rotten. Any input is certainly welcomed; new to the SMB forum/family!

Thanks,

Magnus
Attached Thumbnails
Pop Top Leak top corner.jpg   PopTop leak canvas and wood.jpg  

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I'd be very concerned about that. I had a similar leak and water had spread to the center light fixture. I figured that water had possibly ran further than expected.

I was lucky to find my leak during dry weather while washing the vehicle. Also water might be coming from the PH top Tee bolts however mine was actually coming thru the wiring harness similar to your pics. I'd check the tee bolts as well.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-top-6987.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

Dave,
Thanks for the response. The Pop Top lights don't work either. However, the rest of the vehicle is in primo shape, it has just sat for 7 years and is a 2013 with less than 10k mi.
Wonder how hard it would be to replace the ceiling panel and insulation?
Old 04-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Mangus

It’s a slippery slope on leaking roofs if it’s in the section that’s just fiberglass you can patch and no issues.

If it’s leaking in a section with the wood core and has been leaking a long time the wood is probably saturated and will start to rot away.

Here are some pictures of the wood inside a top that was leaking and sat for about 5 years. I had to cut all the wood out, replace it and re-fiberglass it back together.

Where you located at?

Not trying to scare you away from it but just be sure you know what your getting into.
Attached Thumbnails
77904122-44A7-4573-9D4F-34DE6ACA9D31.jpg   04058E93-0CBF-4D72-AC3A-E55EE63A0A7C.jpg  
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Pop Top

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm a little weary. I'm in Portland, Oregon, aside form the leak and the Pop Top the van is in pristine condition. Asking price is 68k with less than 10k mi. How hard was it to do the fix the interior roof? What are your thoughts on the canvas and slats...When I went to the SMB West site it looked like a new roof, which I probably don't need is 10k. Canvas 5k? Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #6

Garage
Its natural to want to spend as little as possible, Suggest you make an attempt to negotiate the price down by $5k or $8K due to the issue.
If its in that great shape and only having 10K miles on the clock (which is unheard of) I say spend the $15K to replace the roof altogether (if in fact that's even warranted) and the Van would still be a very reasonable price (in todays market, a great price).
Old 04-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply; it is a 2014 E350 SMB 4x4 with 90K in upgrades. I'd like to use it and then maybe resell it in a couple of years. Unfortunately, it sat as the owner postponed its use and now is too ill to use it. It has 2500mi on it. Kind of crazy...
Old 04-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Might actually call SMB and ask about warranty for original owner. Maybe you can get it fixed before your transfer names if the owner is willing to work with you. I also pm’d you
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #9

Pop Top Leak

Even if you have to put a new top on it’s a great price for a low mileage 4x4 SMB. If it didn’t have that issue it would be $100k-$140k easily. Look at switching it out for a Colorado Campervan top or another SMB top. At the minimum I’d get new canvas.

BTW the only “insulation” between the wood “headliner” and the fiberglass top is a thin layer of Reflectix, which water shouldn’t bother (it’s just plastic/Mylar).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #10

Garage
I've replaced some of the plywood battens SMB used to hold down the canvas to the van roof. SMB used the cheapest crap available. I would not recommend getting more from them.

Tags
pop top leak