Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Garage
Portable A/C: IcyBreeze

Has anyone heard or have experience with the IcyBreeze portable A/C? Saw this posted on advrider, I believe.

https://www.icybreeze.com/

Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #2

Garage
Chris, are you trying to cool the in side of the Van?
These really only work somewhat effectively when you point the discharge hose directly at you (and have it close to you)- not so effective in trying to cool a space the size of your interior.
Had a friend that bought a different brand about 2 years ago (same principal though) and was disappointed in the overall performance.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #3

Garage
I was thinking about times when I don’t want to run the Starcool because of power and having to run the generator when boondocking.

I haven’t done a good job of exercising the Starcool because of 30 amp access, or lack there of, but will do better going forward. I think I will run it monthly when I exercise the generator. I had some recent problems, much to do with weak 5-year old batteries I think, but the Starcool is running fine now after some fiddling with my 12v power system. I will likely need to replace the Tripplite at some point.

Thanks for the info on the device, it is what I figured. Might work when not too hot and you aren’t cooling an entire space.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
There’s also these units, they are a more dedicated unit, so not integrated into a cooler lid. I know Matt at AVC(Adventure Vehicle Concepts) installed one of them in a van....

https://www.zerobreeze.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #5

Garage
I didn’t realize Zero Breeze was in production. Haven’t checked on it in some time. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #6

Garage
They had a hard time getting the production going from the onset - evidently the concept was in high demand and they transferred production to China...that didn't go very well according to consumer reviews (quality & service issues).
They did come out with an update version about 18 months ago...better than the original (first one rated around 1,100btu, and the second at 2,300btu), but reviews are still on the disappointing side. Although the second version can be operated on 110 instead of the Zero Breeze battery - that one peeked my interest.
REF - I would be curious if you had any feedback from the guy you know that installed one???
Old 08-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
REF - I would be curious if you had any feedback from the guy you know that installed one???
I’ll reach out to Matt at ACV to see if he’s got any info. I was interested in a unit for myself but the first version went out of production and the waiting game is not my thing to get on a list for the new version. At this point I’ll just continue to hook up my mister line to my onboard tank and hang them from the awning, cools things down quite nicely!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I was thinking about times when I don’t want to run the Starcool because of power and having to run the generator when boondocking.

I haven’t done a good job of exercising the Starcool because of 30 amp access, or lack there of, but will do better going forward. I think I will run it monthly when I exercise the generator. I had some recent problems, much to do with weak 5-year old batteries I think, but the Starcool is running fine now after some fiddling with my 12v power system. I will likely need to replace the Tripplite at some point.

Thanks for the info on the device, it is what I figured. Might work when not too hot and you aren’t cooling an entire space.
Danhard makes a Soft Start box for the Starcool that easily permits a 15 amp usage either by Honda generator or mains power using the Tripplite
Old 08-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #9

Hi everyone,
The small ones are something I would be interested in as well! I have the Starcool, but no one has ever been able to get it to work properly....if at all. I’ve been looking at the mini-swampcoolers for quite some time. Does anyone have one they could or would recommend?
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
I'd also like to see some comments from someone who actually uses a Zero Breeze. Even my Starcool struggles to keep comfortable temps in weather over 90*. I use an endless breeze portable fan but in warmer temps it's like sitting in front of a hair drier. Something with its own power source is a great resource over a unit that pulls a constant draw off my van batteries.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote