Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

Just wondering if you could have the hydraulic lifts put on what you currently have?

Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #12

Eddyturn
The entire setup is, unfortunately, not strong enough to support the top with attached mattress. That sucker is very heavy! Plus, there’s really nowhere on the bottom to attach it. Plywood surround is too thin.
It’s actually thinner than the plywood that’s attached to the mattress itself.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #13

Garage
I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a handle that you could pull straight out that could possibly give a lot more leverage for lifting. As long as the way it is attached to the bed doesn't add too much weight it should help. I haven't looked at mine to see if the supporting box could be notched for something that could slide out and in without compromising the strength of the box. I'm likely to need something like this myself before too many more years pass, or possibly whatever better brains than mine can come up with. I'll follow this thread to see what develops.

_________
Roger
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #14

Roger,
It might possibly work if you’re strong enough to lift it. I am not! I am medically retired AF from a heart attack...followed by breaking my back in 6 places! Topped off with Fibromyalgia ....that solution just would not work for me.
On the bright side, I will have all the upper pieces to
the current Gaucho to give away, plus the table pieces. I replaced that as it’s also heavy, and I found a
nice fold-up 3-height one that works for me!
Other changes include passenger swivel, and a drop down floor where my steps are behind that seat.
Of course, I could run into weight issues with that as well. But it would solve a few problems when closed up for the night! Whatever you do, if you plan to keep using your rig, look to future needs.
ConnieKat
Old 08-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
I guessing your sofa is not the switch blade type that just the back flips out and adds to the front of the seat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	34823
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	34824
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	34825

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #16

Gooseberry,
I really wish it was!!! But no, it comes out in pieces, then you have to lift and slide the lower piece out and
put the upper ones near the wall. The result is quite awkward, and in no way easy to sleep on—period!
The one you showed is fabulous by comparison. What year is this one? Mines a 2005 Chevy EB
ConnieKat
Old 08-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Gooseberry,
I really wish it was!!! But no, it comes out in pieces, then you have to lift and slide the lower piece out and
put the upper ones near the wall. The result is quite awkward, and in no way easy to sleep on—period!
The one you showed is fabulous by comparison. What year is this one? Mines a 2005 Chevy EB
ConnieKat

My van is a 2000 smb and they might still be found or made.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #18

The Flip over brackets are available. But I seem to recall the seat cushion cannot be raised for access to items/systems below. I might be wrong as it has been a a few years since I was around ind of those.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The Flip over brackets are available. But I seem to recall the seat cushion cannot be raised for access to items/systems below. I might be wrong as it has been a a few years since I was around ind of those.
On my old van, you had to take off two nuts on the front corners to remove bottom cushion. Not perfect but very doable, but the intent was not that you would be doing it very often. Access was from a door underneath the cushions. In my lay out there was only a small user storage area on the right, the other space was water tank. inverter and other electrical.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #20

Garage
I have the flip over type and my bottom cushion has the same two front studs/nuts for removal. Same for access door and stuff below.