Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
1. want to be able to use the unit where it gets stationed (Not in and out of a cabinet)
Thetford has a hold down kit for certain models of its pottis. It is only about $20 or in some cases may be bundled with the potti.
Porta Potti 260B | Thetford

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #22

I built a cabinet for mine that goes in the center between the seats. Very handy and never had a problem with leaks or odor. Also built in a map box and canvas pockets on the side, as well as an extra seat when camping and a small utility table while traveling that items do not roll off.

Later I added a 12volt to 110 volt converter and a cup holder for my camera's zoom lens, so they would both be handier to use.
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpau00 View Post
Thetford has a hold down kit for certain models of its pottis. It is only about $20 or in some cases may be bundled with the potti.
Porta Potti 260B | Thetford
Any idea if that can be safely installed in a small shower, without leading to leaks in the shower pan or making it difficult to dump?

I've finally convinced my wife that a marine toilet is more trouble than it's worth (in terms of needing to find a dump station periodically, extra complexity, extra cost, less storage space due to the blackwater tank using up the prime location for house battery), so now the final objection is just... what keeps the porta-potti from flying around and toppling over if we need to slam the brakes?
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
Any idea if that can be safely installed in a small shower, without leading to leaks in the shower pan or making it difficult to dump?

I've finally convinced my wife that a marine toilet is more trouble than it's worth (in terms of needing to find a dump station periodically, extra complexity, extra cost, less storage space due to the blackwater tank using up the prime location for house battery), so now the final objection is just... what keeps the porta-potti from flying around and toppling over if we need to slam the brakes?
People really tend to over worry about porta pottys. I've been traveling with one for years and it has never leaked or smelled, period. I keep one in my DD van and it's already there ready for a trip. It never moves if it is halfway wedged in place with something. No need for straps, etc. I think this box is really cool but if you're putting it in a shower then the box is overkill. It's plastic. The shower is plastic. Just put the thing in the shower! Plastic doesn't hurt or scratch other plastic. I've kept one in a shower pan a lot of times. It works fine. I just make sure the PP is up against a forward wall/seat, etc. where it's not going forward in a panic stop. Otherwise, never a movement.

Oh, I DO have a strong sense of smell and I realized recently I hadn't dumped the PP in about 6 months. Of course it smelled bad when I opened it to dump but no smell otherwise.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black95 View Post
I built a cabinet for mine that goes in the center between the seats. Very handy and never had a problem with leaks or odor. Also built in a map box and canvas pockets on the side, as well as an extra seat when camping and a small utility table while traveling that items do not roll off.
Nice solution. Does the cabinet conflict with the front seat rotation?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Nice solution. Does the cabinet conflict with the front seat rotation?
My van has OEM power seats for both the driver and the passenger and, to date, I have not found a supplier of swivel seat bases or adapters that works with power seats so I don't have that problem. If I did, I would just slide the cabinet back out of the way, swivel the seat, then slide it back into place.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #27

Hmmm Makes it kind of like a love seat when your significant other is driving.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #28

I have been trying to keep most information in my build thread just to keep it all together, see post #192 on page 20 at http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16293.html to see where I store the Porta Potti and how it gets moved around in a 150 configuration.

The bottom line: It works great, it's easy to dump and clean, it doesn't smell as long as the chemical is maintained, it takes up very little space and it is a practical solution to a common situation.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
Hmmm Makes it kind of like a love seat when your significant other is driving.
So true! But we only use it at night when we are sleeping in the van camper conversion. During the day we can always find rest areas, C-stores and gas stations.

I really like looking at pictures of your Green Tardis van, LenS. It has given me a lot of great ideas for my blue Cookie Monster van.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
Any idea if that [Thetford hold down kit] can be safely installed in a small shower, without leading to leaks in the shower pan or making it difficult to dump?

... what keeps the porta-potti from flying around and toppling over if we need to slam the brakes?
I would be hesitant to screw that hold down kit through the shower floor.

Our SMB shower stall just has a couple low-profile tie-down anchors on the wall. A web strap or bungee cord loops through them and around the potti to keep it secure during travel. To use the shower we just remove the strap and temporarily stow the porta-potti in the aisle.

Edit: Our tie-downs look identical to those used on Fitz's cabinet potti storage.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote