Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

Propane: Add extra line for generator?

My last van was all-electric so propane is new to me. I just bought a dual-fuel 2000w portable generator to use with the van sometimes and would like to be able to run it off the built-in propane tank. Right now the tank is only plumbed to the onboard stove. I’d like to add a line with quick connect at the back of the van (similar to what another forum member just did), but the whole regulator thing has me confused. I obviously need to add a T-fitting somewhere, but should I add it before the regulator shown right near my tank? The hose that came with the generator has a regulator on it too. Is the regulator already installed on the van good for both the stove and the generator, and can I just run basically a line straight to the generator (with a quick connect) without a regulator? Thanks for any help!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5756.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	42373

Name:	IMG_5757.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	42374

Name:	IMG_5758.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	42375

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #2

Garage
Awhile back I did the same. You will need to tap into high pressure for the Generator. I purchased the Hutch Mountain conversion kit for the generator, and asked the same question (about using the current regulator that was on the van to go directly to the Honda EU2200i)...don't recall the details of why, but they said i needed to use the regulator they supplied with the conversion kit.
I didn't have enough clearance to tap into the high pressure fitting inside the door cover to run a separate line. they would have to move most of the hardware (Sportsmobile regulator) to the underside of the frame rail to accommodate the extra high pressure line. Probably what you'll have to do as well.
I deviated a little from this plan since I went ahead and had the whole tank & all hardware replaced - with that process they managed to mount the new tank and allow clearance to run all the lines - cost quite a bit more, but end result was what I envisioned.
You can not run the generator by going through two regulators. So easiest would be to move your existing regulator under the frame rail (because it doesn't look like you have the clearance either), and using a "Y" just prior to that regulator for high pressure. If you do this, I would put another "on-off" valve on the end of the Y & then hose to rear bumper with a quick connect..
Old 01-08-2022, 08:08 PM   #3

Thanks. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow of the hose and regulator that came with the generator. I’m mainly wondering if the regulator that’s already there on the van would suffice for the generator.

Here’s the generator: https://a-ipower.com/products/sua2000i
Old 01-08-2022, 09:43 PM   #4

The regulator that runs the stove is probably set to discharge at a pressure measured in inches or water. The one on the generator probably had a discharge pressure around 2 pounds. In other words the generator needs a higher pressure to operate than the stove does.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts so far. So I probably need to find out what the generator regulator is set at compared with the stove as a start. Otherwise I’ll need to tee off the tank line before the built in regulator.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I added an extended stay T when I had propane, there are several versions

Camco 59113 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NHPM76...YKKD2VK76ZASXH
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote