Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #1

Propane Leaking where Regulator meets Elbow

Howdy!

Anybody know how to tighten this to stop the little leak I'm getting where propane exits the SMB propane tank regulator into the elbow? I've soaped all the fittings and am sure this is the problem area.

It would seem the elbow can't turn because of the other end being copper. And if the regulator spun clockwise the other end would presumably loosen and also misalign. Or perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks for your help on this!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 7.17.47 AM.jpg  

glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #2

You will have to..

Empty tank.
Disconnect compression fitting.
Remove elbow.
Clean thoroughly.
Reinstall elbow using fresh thread seal.
Reinstall compression fitting.

Note: do not use any kind of sealant on compression fitting!

For thread seal, I use this stuff and it's fantastic:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ezturnlube.php

One tube will last a lifetime.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Mine did the exact same thing...I didn't want to try to mess around in the tight space so I took it to 'RV One' b/c I didn't know who to take it to...They were backed-up about a month (whaaaaaat)It was suggested that I take it to the local Ferrelgas (spelling?) distributor. They worked me in same day, took around 10 minutes and filled up the tank while I was there...$20 plus the gas...BARGAIN!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

Appreciate the advice, N147JK that seems simple enough, I just ordered the stuff. And thanks for clarifying no sealant on the copper flare fitting side, copy that.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #5

glasspack - if there is a manual shut-off valve upstream of that connector, you can use that and not have to empty the tank. But of course, please do be careful working around a non-empty propane tank.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Note: do not use any kind of sealant on compression fitting!

For thread seal, I use this stuff and it's fantastic:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ezturnlube.php
Great advice about no sealant on compression fittings---something a lot of DIY mechanics never consider.

My personal favorite thread sealant is LocTite or Permatx PST---I never use a generic "thread sealant with Teflon--brand name stuff only for me. I'm not familiar with the EZ Turn lube so check if its advisable uses include propane or gaseous sealer.

The LocTite # is: 37396. That size is pretty much a single use and while it won't last "forever" its good for up to a year.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

I do not think you have to empty tank as suggested. All tanks I've seen and dealt with have a shut off gate valve right on the tank before the regulator, I can't tell picture is too narrow. It is a round knob you turn clockwise to shut off. The elbow is brass to prevent sparks from metal wrenches. The regulator side of the elbow is pipe thread off the tank side and it is flared off the release side. Shut the tank off and unthread the van side to rotate the tank side off. If your not sure if there is a crack in the elbow due to vibration, replace it for under $5.00. Teflon only the pipe thread side!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #8

Fixed!

Re-filled the propane tank, soaped all the fittings, no more leak! Thanks to everybody who chimed in to help. It was an easy thing to take care of once I had all this great info. I realize I didn't really have to empty the tank due to the shutoff valve but did so just out of caution.

Also in the end I wound up using Rectorseal Yellow 5 instead of the EZ turn (on the regulator side of the elbow) because it's recommended it for use as a sealant with threaded propane fittings.

Have a great weekend!