Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Propane seems to stop at below freezing

Didn't realize they put butane in propane. Good to know.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #12

Given the behavior at the stove too, and that it happens in cold weather, the butane blend theory sounds pretty good (I also didn't realize that when you fill up on "propane" it could be partly butane - but then I guess they blend diesel and etc. for different climates).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I've always had my stoves run at a reduced rate in extreme cold temps especially the smaller tanks feeding several things at once. Sometimes heating up the tank helps. I doubt that is your issue though.

Attached Thumbnails
Picture 014.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Another thought: I think that if your batteries are low, the furnace fan may come on (and blow cold air) but the burner won't ignite -- because the fan is not at a high enough rpm. I think this is some sort of safety feature (burner not igniting if fan rpm not high enough). So, maybe check battery voltage? Just another idea.

(The flaw is I'm not sure how this would explain the stove burner not running properly.)
I think this is the best bet for a test. Check your voltage for comparisons with and without appearance of the problem. Look-up minimum voltage requirements for your furnace. Start-up the van if you need a power boost.

See Dave's thoughts about the stove. I'm betting it is a different and separate issue.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

Just another experience. I have stayed at places in the Winter where the tank is on top of or is buried in the snow and the pipe from the tank runs uninsulated 20 feet under the house to the furnace and then another 20 feet to the kitchen stove. And never had a problem in 50 years of use with propane failing due to cold temperatures including as cold as -12F.

Dave, you're kidding with that picture aren't you. It scares the crap out of me every time I see it!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

Dave, you're kidding with that picture aren't you. It scares the crap out of me every time I see it!
Blew my mind too. Looks like you're trolling for a Darwin Award.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Guys, it's an optical illusion and the flames are not under the tank Really there is no difference than a Weber BBQ where the small spin on tank is indirectly heated by the BBQ's heat/flame/warmth. My point is that the pressure goes up in hotter temps. When you see those little propane bottles form ice they don't boil off the gas as quickly and produce a lower pressure. You'll see that in cold temps and the flame is lower until the BBQ warms the bottle a bit.

I still don't think that is the problem here.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #18

We have the same issue with our propane heater. When it's really cold, no heat, just cold air blowing in. Usually, it's windy, but not last time. I'll start recording the voltage when it happens and report back if there's a pattern.
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #19

Hey Guys-

I was having this same problem this winter a couple of times. The temp only dipped down into the mid 20's and neither the heater or the 2 burner stove would fire. I have a propex HS2800 unit and a Domestic 2 burner stove. The problems were occurring at elevation, ~ 8000 to 9000 feet, but only when the temps dipped. At sea level and normal Southern California temps, everything works fine.

Would the best place to start be to replace the regulator? Is there a regulator that would work well across a range of elevations? I'll post up some pics of the set up tomorrow. I have til next winter to dial this in b/c I want to drive from SOCAL to Alaska.

thx for any info you guys have.
Brett218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #20

I have had this issue several times with outdoor heaters on small bottles.

Heard somewhere that the size of the bottle vs the flow rate of the heater device are related.

I tried connecting the heater to a 7 gallon upright bottle and reduced the output and it seemed to help.

Maybe the reason the 500 gallon tanks don't have the issue?

The Propex inside the van has never had this issue and has been tested down to -15 recently. Its hooked to a 7 gallon tank under the van and uses very little gas......

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote