Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoliner View Post
Call me crazy, but I obsess over every cubic inch inside.. plus it's a little quieter at night with it underneath. Besides it's a great use of all that real estate next to the frame rail.

My thoughts exactly!

Mr.Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #22

My propane tank on the passenger side is sort a pain to fill under the running board, but only once was I told to take a hike. I was in a busy line off hwy 95 at Quartzsite.
If you can figure out a way to reverse the heater & tank locations, I think you can still get the propane trim door from Sportsmobile to make it look better and more accessible.
Econoliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #23

Garage
I would think having the heater and air ducts outside would cause more heat loss. May not be an issue with the bigger heater but our small one is barely big enough.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #24

A bit pricey but would allow mounting the tank inboard and on an EB between the rear axle and spare tire well. Before deciding that a fixed propane was not for our build I strongly considered this as a solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Prop.../dp/B00EP1T4J8
Old 11-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #25

you've got a point, but the exhaust duct is only under the van for a few inches before it turns up through the body. The duct material is pretty tough and has a foil layer. I generously wrapped everything with Reflectix pipe wrap... including the return air duct which has the longest trip underbody. I assume that much of the wasted heat from the unit (which is designed for external use--mainly VW vans) will sink up though the steel floor (??). Thinking of getting an IR sensor for my phone for heat loss analysis.
I really like that remote fill device that 1der just posted... think I'll try that!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
A bit pricey but would allow mounting the tank inboard and on an EB between the rear axle and spare tire well. Before deciding that a fixed propane was not for our build I strongly considered this as a solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Prop.../dp/B00EP1T4J8
Would need a remote shut off and remote level indicator?
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #27

So ... picking this thread back up, unfortunately my life has been sucking rather hard lately and I haven't had time to actually work on any of this. That and there was some shipping issues with the propane tank which finally arrived last week.

Unfortunately, I think made a mistake with the tank selection, and I'm going to probably need to return it and get another one.

You guys can chime in if I'm off on this, but I'm 90% sure the horizontal tank will not work for the way I want to use it. Obviously being able to fill the tank easily is a key design - if you design something that is a pain in the ass to use, you'll hate it and not want to use it, and that's what the tank I bought would entail:

I went with a Machester 20lb horizontal tank, thinking I could just add on the NashFuel remote fill kit to it.

Problem is the 20lb horizontal tank doesn't have a fill port on it and is designed to be filled vertically because it is fitted with a overfill prevention device (OPD) Valve on it which only functions correctly if oriented vertically. This means I would have to crawl under there unbolt all the connections and then reinstall a 45lb propane tank while lying on my back each time I need a fill ... most likely in freezing weather because that's when I'll be using the heater the most ... F-That!

I think this is the correct tank that I need

Note that is has ASME valves fitted on it which has a separate vapor pressure port, fill port, "in use" (for lack of a better term) port, and whatever the hell the H12C port is for, maybe an accessory gauge or something bought separately.

Ugh, oh well, I think this is the first mix up on buying something since the van build started so that's how we learn

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I on the right track, and am I correct in saying that the linked 20lb horizontal manchester tank will not work for a remote fill option?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #28

I think I've got the same tank that Boy Wonder has. He did an awesome install. It's only 8" in diameter and isn't exactly huge, but I've got an extended-stay valve for connecting normal 20# tanks for long boondocking, etc.
I didn't get it from GoWesty, but I think this is the one: https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4323
Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post

I think this is the correct tank that I need

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I on the right track, and am I correct in saying that the linked 20lb horizontal manchester tank will not work for a remote fill option?

Thanks!

I think the tank you are linking to above requires a "door/hatch" in the rocker panel ...typical Sportsmobile type tank. The tank that Econoliner has linked to below is a "van" style tank, where the fittings are accessible under the van. Although I designed a nifty raise-lower mount for the tank, it's quite easy to fill in the up position for the "van" style fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoliner View Post
I think I've got the same tank that Boy Wonder has. He did an awesome install. It's only 8" in diameter and isn't exactly huge, but I've got an extended-stay valve for connecting normal 20# tanks for long boondocking, etc.
I didn't get it from GoWesty, but I think this is the one: https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4323

GoWesty has two versions of this tank.....the one above is 30" long and 5.9 gallons....I went with the 24" long version that is 4.6 gallons.

It's worth noting here that the Propex heaters are real fuel-sippers....the specs have a propane flow rate in grams/hour I think. After using my heater camping multiple times in a season, the first refill took 2 gallons and the second refill (just the other week) took 3 gallons. Unforch, my local fill place requires a 5 gallon min fill charge when they have to drage the long hose out.

I use the heat fairly sparingly; I just camped at Kennedy Meadows CA a couple weekends ago for two nights...both nights 23F and I turned the heater on maybe 5-6 times over the course of the night...and I've got a passenger/window van.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I think the tank you are linking to above requires a "door/hatch" in the rocker panel ...typical Sportsmobile type tank. The tank that Econoliner has linked to below is a "van" style tank, where the fittings are accessible under the van. Although I designed a nifty raise-lower mount for the tank, it's quite easy to fill in the up position for the "van" style fittings.

Thanks for the input, do you think I could do a remote fill connection with that type of tank (the sportsmobile tank)?

Looking at some SMB images of the hatch door configuration in the rocker panel, seems like people put these on the drivers side between the front and rear wheel attached to the frame.

going with the SMB style tank w/ remote fill accessible on side of vehicle would be my first choice just because that tank is 1/2 the price of the westy tank, but I'm getting to the point where shelling $600 for a tank may be the only option it seems.