Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I recently picked up a Propex HS2211 heater from Karl at Westy Ventures; here are a few pictures and some details in case anyone is considering a Propex.

This unit can be mounted inside or outside (I'm planning on outside mounting for several reasons, including keeping all of the propane outside and for reducing noise; I'm a really light sleeper)

The heater can also be mounted in additional orientations compared to the HS2000 and HS2800 which are older models. This unit appears to have an updated thermostat, although the other models may include this as well, or maybe not.....

When mounting inside, 3 holes need to be drilled through the van: Combustion intake air, exhaust air, and propane line.

For outside mounting, 3 holes also need to be drilled, two rather large holes for the hot air and cold air return duct, and the wiring harness to the thermostat.

Duct Y fittings are also available as well as closable vents. If you are only running one hot air vent, it has to be fixed open. If two or more hot air vents are installed, at least one has to be fixed/open.

The wiring harness connects the heater to the thernostat and to a 12V supply. It has a nice rubber bootie for the heater side for outside mounting.

The supplied propane inlet fitting is a 5/16" compression fitting for copper (or steel/stainless) tubing. I picked up a compression to male NPT brass adapter in the event that I want to run a hose to the unit instead of rigid tubing. For inside mounting, rigid tubing is highly recommended.

The thermostat can be flush mounted with the supplied trim, or surface mounted with the supplied PVC spacer. The knobs have cool white o-rings, we'll see how long they last......

I also ordered grommets for the ducting since I'm planning on outside mounting; they are very low durometer rubber. Hopefully I'll be able to find a flat surface under the floor for the duct holes since they won't work too well in the corrugated parts of the van floor.

The ducting and vents screw into the white coupler. It appears that the max panel thickness for the vent mounting is at least 3/4". Two fixed vents, two white couplers and about 4' of ducting are supplied in the kit. The duct appears to be cardboard fiber material with a metallized ID.

I've already got lots of ideas for mounting, perhaps a sub-frame, rubber isolator feet, a weather cover, etc.

Hi, hopefully your still around, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have an hs2211 in box to install in my camper trailer. Planning on installing it underneath, what part are those large rubber grommets? I'd imagine thats something that I would want so the vents don't chafe against the flooring. Any other recommendations for someone installing this underneath?

amagad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #22

I'm still around......

I ended up mounting the heater inside; it's really quiet....but yes those large rubber grommets are for outside mounting and running the ducts through the sheet metal.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm still around......

I ended up mounting the heater inside; it's really quiet....but yes those large rubber grommets are for outside mounting and running the ducts through the sheet metal.
Oh awesome, glad to hear your still around. Your documentation you have implanted on the internet is helping those from the future trying to do their own installs do you think those grommets are needed for flooring that's an inch and a half thick happen to know which ones they are on McMaster? I do like the cleaner look. Why did you end up going internal?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #24

Hmm also happen to know if the base of the hs2211 gets hot or any of the walls? I have some plastic like boarding material underneath my trailer that I suspect is just a protective barrier. I have some concern that if I mount the propex directly on this, it could melt that plastic like material.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #25

I'm pretty sure I got the grommets from Karl at Westy Ventures. Also it would be wise to replace the paper/cardboard intake tubing with the metal style used for the exhaust. I bought that from Karl as well.

The exterior of the unit barely gets warm. I have a sleeping bag packed right against the unit..no issues.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #26

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I got the grommets from Karl at Westy Ventures. Also it would be wise to replace the paper/cardboard intake tubing with the metal style used for the exhaust. I bought that from Karl as well.

The exterior of the unit barely gets warm. I have a sleeping bag packed right against the unit..no issues.
Awesome thanks. I spoke to Karl, he sold the biz to vancafe so ill need to reach out to vancafe. Thanks for your posts dude, helped me visualize what I needed to do on my end