Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
In the rear only or both front and rear units?

Like a fool I gave my rear evaporator to the shop doing my initial evac and recharge after I'd eliminated the rear circuit. I do fear they simply scrapped it along with 50 other A/C system parts they had laying around.

I did keep the OEM heater core and OMG is that thing small, quite a bit smaller than the front core in fact. Considering the length hot coolant has to flow from the engine to the rear heater and back again I was surprised to see 110* leaving air temps at the exhaust vents when up to full operating temperatures.
I replaced all of the components front and rear as there seemed to be an issue with most of them, others were simply convenient while the system was apart. The rear heater core is quite small but seems to be very efficient in my van.

It is worth noting that the rear unit should be removed completely from the van using the quick release ac hose connections either beside the rear unit or under the van. I did it all in the van before realizing this "feature".

After all was said and done the system does work well and blows quite cold front and rear. I did this job myself as I was shocked to hear how much shops wanted for the work and the length of time they wanted to have the van for. It was a moderately entertaining experience besides changing the compressor...that was not thrilling.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:22 AM   #32
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The spring coupling A/C system connectors were under my van close to the floor and to the evaporator as well. Coolant lines had the Quick Disconnect fitings like found up front installed on the ends of the aluminum tubes then using formed flexible hoses directed the coolant in and out of the heater core.

That makes a lot of sense especially in the maintenance end as most any mess you'd create servicing the two systems be outside the van rather than close to the interior.

Its good you were able to do all this on your own---I could see that sort of job approaching $5K or more if hired out.

I removed the rear A/C completely along with the factory blower housing---it went away with the Club Wagon seats, interior trim panels and seats. Rear heat has been re-configured using an after market 60K BTU heat-only system mounted in the ceiling with rigid ducts directing heated air where its needed to keep the rear area fairly well balanced temperature-wise.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #33

JWA,
Just out of curiosity, how different are the Ford and Chevy 350 EB’s in terms of what kinds of A/C systems are installed ( if you know)? I have the Chevy
and it’s the Starcool..Which I really dislike. The thing has never worked! Now trying to decide if I should try something else and just have the monstrous box torn out? I could surely use the extra room for storage!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #34
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
JWA,
Just out of curiosity, how different are the Ford and Chevy 350 EB’s in terms of what kinds of A/C systems are installed ( if you know)?
ConnieKat
Sadly I don't know ConnieKat---until just now I've never contemplated GM's system assuming it would be factory-installed.

The StarCool and any other aftermarket upfitted system would have their own ideas how a vehicle add-on A/C system would work.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #35

It sounds like the expansion valve is stuck closed.
Beardedgospeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardedgospeldude View Post
It sounds like the expansion valve is stuck closed.
Tapping lightly with a hammer has been known to free them up............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #37

Update:
The shop traced the lines to the front of the vehicle, and located a place where they are completely cut, and soldered shut. ��

New lines/evaporator/heater core should be installed Friday. The shop is going to send me some photos of the rear AC disassembled.
WeatherManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #38
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherManVan View Post
Update:
The shop traced the lines to the front of the vehicle, and located a place where they are completely cut, and soldered shut. ��

New lines/evaporator/heater core should be installed Friday. The shop is going to send me some photos of the rear AC disassembled.
I hope that does the trick---can't be too cheap I'm guessing?
Old 08-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #39

Custom lines... no it isn’t cheap. About $1300 for everything including front service and full flush.
WeatherManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:24 AM   #40
JWA

All things considered that's not a bad price, kinda in the range I thought it might be.

It'll be nice having front and rear A/C again.

Tags
ac refrigerant hot air